BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

3D viewing without perspective

To make obtaining measurements easier in the 3D view it would be better if the building could be viewed without perspective. As an example, I have been trying to get accurate measurements of a single object truss (chords and web are a single item). It is next to impossible to rotate the building in 3D so that the user can look at the object directly face on and moving in or out or side to side doesn't cause the object to rotate. The result is that when making measurements in 3D the user has to pay attention to the orientation of the  "plane" indicator of the cursor. Getting the cursor to be at the right location can be difficult when try to measure to a corner which does not have a snap and the pane keeps flip-flopping around the corner. If there was a non-perspective view that would allow the user to view an object face on then the "plane" icon would not be needed. My MCAD software has this option to view with or without perspective and a "view command" that allows me to select the surface I want to view from directly in front. I find it very helpful when doing MCAD designs and I think it could help in AC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

If you don't want a perspective view, you can switch to 'Axonometric'.

I actually prefer this when working on a model.

Also activate your '3D Visualisation' toolbar and you will find a command to 'Look to Perpendicular' which you can use to look square on to any surface you choose.

You can measure in 3D but you can not dimension.

You can create a 3D Document from your 3D view and you can dimension in there, just as you can in sections and elevations..

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
Barry Kelly

If you don't want a perspective view, you can switch to 'Axonometric'.

I actually prefer this when working on a model.

Also activate your '3D Visualisation' toolbar and you will find a command to 'Look to Perpendicular' which you can use to look square on to any surface you choose.

You can measure in 3D but you can not dimension.

You can create a 3D Document from your 3D view and you can dimension in there, just as you can in sections and elevations..

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Great Tip Barry. A contender for tip of the month ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

It's not really a tip.

It is just utilising the features of Archicad.

The problem is there are so many features, you may not be aware of them until you ask.

The Help Reference Guide is just one big book of tips. 😉

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

It certainly helped me.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Learn and get certified!