BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Object selection

Hello:

There are times when I find it easier toll work in 3D but when the model starts getting more and more complex it becomes more difficult to pick out individual items/objects/elements. As an example, One of my designs has 4 towers and a central main structure. During the designs a change was required which meant that one of the towers had to be moved and rotated. If done in the floor plan mode it would mean selecting all items on a floor plan story, make the required placement operations and repeat for each story (30 in my case). It would be quicker in 3D where it's possible to pick all floors and then make the moves but when a building complex with lots of parts there are so many nodes that it is almost impossible to find the right point to use. It would be nice to have a feature inwhich any object/element,etc. is selected in one mode (floor plan or 3D) it is also shown as selected in the other mode. So if a wall was selected in the floor plan view, that same wall would show as selected in the 3D view and vice versa. With the ability to show selected parts in both modes simultaneously my move and rotate would have simplified to, select all required items in 3D then switch to floor plan followed by selecting the desired node. Then move and rotate and all items selected in 3D would move to the desired location. Faster and simpler. I have times when I must alter something using the floor plan (simpler task) and check the results in 3D. Today that means rotating the model left or right and side to side to find the correct location where the change was made. It would be faster if the modified part was highlighted making it easier to move the model.

Regards

5 REPLIES 5
mthd
Ace

Yes, I get what you mean. I have also tried to select elements in 3D in order to edit them in 2D. What we need is, once it is selected in either the 3D or 2D view, that it remains selected for editing when we change views. I don’t know how other experienced users get around this problem, they may use cut away views or other tricks ? 

I have heard that some are able to get square on in a 3D perspective view in order to edit something. How that is actually done I am not sure and it would be good if someone could demonstrate it for us. 

It would also be good if we could get square on in any 3D view for precise editing too.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

@mthd wrote:

I have heard that some are able to get square on in a 3D perspective view in order to edit something. How that is actually done I am not sure and it would be good if someone could demonstrate it for us. 

It would also be good if we could get square on in any 3D view for precise editing too.

Don't use perspective, use axonometric view.

Then use the 'look to perpendicular' tool.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly

It would be nice if there was an option to place an 'all story marquee' and then have the option to select all in 3D.

That would make the process of selecting al a bit easier.

Not perfect, because it will select element that cross the marquee.

These aren't definitive answers, but are option you have at your disposal.

If you select in plan, there is a right click mouse option to "select in 3D".

Of course you can only select elements in one storey because you can only see one plan at a time.

If you select in 3D, there is also a right click mouse option to "select in plan",

The downside of this is Archicad can only show one storey, so only those elements in that storey will be selected in plan.

You can use an all storey (thick) marquee.

Do not select anything in plan, just place the marquee, then issue stretch and/or rotate command by keyboard shortcut.

All elements inside the marquee on all stories will be affected.

The downside is any elements crossing that marquee boundary will also be affected.

The best option for your situation I think would be to model each tower in a separate file.

Them hotlink them into a master file.

Now you can move and rotate the towers (hotlinks) as you need as one entity.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

Regarding selecting something in 3D, the having it selected in 2D, I have used temporary Groups for this.

Select the relevant elements in 3D => with Groups Enabled, create a new Group => in 2D make the desired change, accepting that things are on non-visible storeys => with Groups Enabled, un-Group.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Hi @Barry Kelly, Also works in 3D Generic Perspective as well with AC27.

Edit: I missed that right click command to go to 3D from 2D or visa versa. I am too used of using my other CAD software. Sometimes we may think we can use another software program and not do enough work to figure out how to use it thoroughly. That’s why I am still learning new tips and tricks every day and remember to practice them so I don’t forget them.

Thank you for those tips above. 

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Learn and get certified!