BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Replace doors <with> windows.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Needed rarely, but in some projects (or by some clients 😉) replace doors <with> windows option can help to spend a time, as we do the same task manual.
16 REPLIES 16
I must be missing something big here I guess: what drives the need for separate door and window object types? Why can't doors be window objects (or rather, why aren't doors and windows a single 'wall opening' object type?).
TomWaltz
Participant
Ignacio wrote:
I must be missing something big here I guess: what drives the need for separate door and window object types? Why can't doors be window objects (or rather, why aren't doors and windows a single 'wall opening' object type?).
I always thought Doors & Windows could be merged into one tool (though it might make it harder to sift through the library and find what you want) and that Slabs & Roofs should be one tool.

That would definitely make it easier to change from one to the other.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
One "openings" tool instead two D&W is interesting idea. This can help me to solve my wish. But I think this will bring some complications for new jung users. I'm not sure that GS will replace these tools with one, called "openings". Because maybe they will say it's not corresponds to AC's "intuitive work concept".
But in technical cases this is a real good idea, that can also facilitate the GDL scripting process.
Z.Bauer wrote:
One "openings" tool instead two D&W is interesting idea. This can help me to solve my wish.
The fact that the specific object type 'Available Parameters' in the Interactive Schedule are given for a Window/Door object type (and there is no other parameter offered individually for Door or Window), and the same thing happens with the Global Variables, suggests that as far as Graphisoft is concerned the Door and the Window have never been different things and that the distinct Door and Window interface-only idea is being dragged from the distant past (from the 2D-drafting world).

In the 3D parametric single-database world the distinction is messing things up a bit.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Z.Bauer wrote:
Needed rarely, but in some projects (or by some clients 😉) replace doors <with> windows option can help to spend a time, as we do the same task manual.
I had a wild idea about this original post.
Let's say you want to replace a Door with a Window.
Take the Window and change its Subtype to become a "Door".
Then transfer the parameters of the Door to this Window-turned-into-Door. Then change its Subtype back to "Window".
I did not try it. Also, I don't know what would happen to parameter values not shared by these various subtypes.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
I had a wild idea about this original post.

Fully agree

laszlonagy, guiding by your method I can just overwrite existing or create new D (W) GDL object. But this is not what I'm asking about. I need to replace D (W) in my project with other W (D) from existing library. In another words just changing D (W) to W (D).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Z.Bauer wrote:
...I'm not sure that GS will replace these tools with one, called "openings". Because maybe they will say it's not corresponds to AC's "intuitive work concept".
We already have the Section/Elevation tool, so then why (as TomWaltz suggested) not a Door/Window tool, and a Slab/Roof tool? If nothing else, it'll be less tools to maintain, and it might actually help the new users.

So should this be a new wish then?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sergio wrote:
We already have the Section/Elevation tool, so then why (as TomWaltz suggested) not a Door/Window tool, and a Slab/Roof tool? If nothing else, it'll be less tools to maintain, and it might actually help the new users.
So should this be a new wish then?
Agree, Sergio.
Thank you for your question. YES this should be in a wish list. I'm personally like as possible clear interface on my Monitor Screen.
Z.Bauer wrote:
...I'm not sure that GS will replace these tools with one, called "openings". Because maybe they will say it's not corresponds to AC's "intuitive work concept".
And as addition to above; GS can update interface schemes for this case for new<>expert users.
TomWaltz
Participant
Z.Bauer wrote:
I'm personally like as possible clear interface on my Monitor Screen.
Why start now? 😉
Tom Waltz
Learn and get certified!