BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Saved Views to Worksheet

Jerryjb
Contributor

Is there a way to place a Saved View onto the Worksheet.  It seems this would solve many issues without generating  excessive layers and still get specific views to convey specialty information.  Right now it feels like the solution to more view options is to add layers. 

7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly

What do you mean exactly?

If you have a saved view, you do not need to place it on a worksheet (apart from the fact that you can't).

Views are placed on layouts (as drawings).

Create a view of your worksheet, and if you need to, you can overlay other views with it on your layout.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Currently, the only option that I can see to create alternate views of a floor plan is to add layers.  Layers for ID sheets, Layers for MEP, Layers for Structure, Layers for Code Analysis, Layers for notes, Layers for alternate layouts, layers for any other creative presentations.  One of first differences I noticed between Revit and ArchiCad is that the views are independent from the model space.  Revit creates a view source but all the annotations are created on the view rather than loading up the model space.  ArchiCad provides something similar when using 3D documents where you can mark it up outside the floor plan view.  

If you can set up the basic view and save the view, then add it to a drawing space you could annotate, coordinate, embellish etc without worrying about the information popping up in some other view and fighting the complex matrix of layer combinations.

I may be missing a better workflow, but I have been pushing for more consultants working within the same space.  Working with layer combinations is great but the whole process could likely be simplified by giving the annotative space outside the model space.

mthd
Ace

I have saved views to a worksheet by means of selecting and copying all the elements from that view that I want into that work sheet. 

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Similarly we can print it or publish it and then add it as a reference dwg but then it is not a live connection.  export and link as a reference?  seems like unnecessary work arounds.  We are so close...   Just need to allow a to drag and drop a saved view right onto the Worksheet and now you have snappable, live connection, workspace for all our creative imaginations to be unleashed without worrying about imposing accidently on other views. 

Yes, for alternative plans, add layers.

Create layer combinations so you can easily turn on/off what you want.

You will have 'common' layers for walls, slabs, roofs, etc., that will be used in most combinations.

Then 'specialty' layers for MEP, structural elements, different scale annotation, etc.

These 'specialty' layers you only turn on in the combinations that need them.

As you have discovered, worksheets (and details) are not live.

In 25 years of using Archicad, I have never used a worksheet and only ever rarely used a detail.

If you come from a Revit background - forget how Revit works.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Only dabbled in Revit to coordinate with consultants.  All that you have said is completely understandable as long as you are isolated with a team that understand your office system.  Once you start working with other ArchiCad users with their own system, and Revit (or other software users) and start transporting IFC files back and forth the need to manage everyone into a standardized system becomes more complex.  The Teamwork process opens the door for great collaboration with more consultants.  It just seems like having that additional layer for free drafting without herding cats into your office system makes for a more flexible option.

mthd
Ace

Worksheets come in handy for external DWG files and other consultants documentation. Sometimes I need to convert these documents into lines if they are in pdf format. I like this about Archicad.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Learn and get certified!