BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Wind bracing PLans

Anonymous
Not applicable
Iv been racking my brain for a couple of days on how I might be able to do this.. iv read a heap on schedules to try work out a way. But need to ask the question.

What im trying to do is insert wind bracing items into my model.. (this is the easy part.. library item… done)
But from these items I want to be able to run a schedule that looks something along lines of listing the item name, ID, then also a preset value… so in the schedule it can add list the items name, its ID (easy parts) but then also add its value to the schedule and then give a total at the bottom

Basically want to use a schedule for these so that if they get modified the table will always be current.. most people have just told me to manually draw a table and add the values.. but leave room for error with plan revisions (if any)

OR, if anyone has a better way of doing a bracing plan and tables, do tell 

Cheers
Gene

bracing.JPG
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
There's really no scripting to it. It might look daunting but it's quite simple. Just follow Karl's instructions and give it a try.
Anonymous
Not applicable
will be very soon. just gotta finish something else off before i do it
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok i think im lost again.
i followed all them steps.. was easy enough.

but now how do i get teh schedual to show my bracing objects??
currently thres 3 of them in my modle (2 of the 1800 and 1 of the 900)
these are the setings for my schedule. but the objects arnt showing up in the schedule?

am i doing the criteria section right??? by adding each of them in.. eventually once i work it out there will be a ply for every 100mm increment up to 3000? or am i meant to be doing it differntly?

i can get it to work if i have only one item under the "library part name starts with" section.. but that only allows me to have one of them in the schedule.. as above im going to want to have about 30 of them saved and able to be listed
Anonymous
Not applicable
closer.. but not quite.. need them in the same column.. to produce the total of them all
Anonymous
Not applicable
im guessing i have to have one library item and adjust its length and bracing value manually for each one i insert to get them in the same column in the schedule??

id preffer to have 30 odd objects all differnt legths and values all ready set so i can just plonk them in with out messing with its values manual?? can i do that and have them in the same column on the schedule?
bracing3.JPG
Anonymous
Not applicable
if i do have to go with 1 item and adjsut each one manually.. is there somethign i can type or add here ( http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com//files/picture_4_178.png ) that will work on an X amount per meter that i stretch the object out to

say the ply is worth 6 per meter.. if i stretch it to 500mm it will auto adjust the brace value to 3... etc..?

EDIT: actually now that i think about i realy need the items seperate and in the same column.. as they wont all be ply.. some will be masonary, straps etc... so i need to get the "brace value" of multipul library items in the same column.. if its doable?
Anonymous
Not applicable
bump
Karl Ottenstein
Yes, you can have all the values in one column, and yes you can create as many objects as you need with the values pre-defined.

The problem seems to be the internal name for your value field. You should only need to add the value field from one object in order to get it from all objects, BUT the internal name MUST be exactly the same for all objects. (This is one of the reasons when this is done for 'real' objects, that one uses 'subtypes' - which force all objects to have like-names parameters. But don't worry about that here, since you're a newbie and don't want to deal with the details.)

If you look at my screenshot earlier called Picture 4, you'll notice that the internal variable for the value is called Brace_A. The default name picks up the name of the library part.

You need to make sure that the same internal name appears in EACH of your objects. Perhaps instead of using the default (Brace_A here), just enter "braceval" or something meaningful to you in all lib parts that you have created. The deal is that the scheduler does NOT pay attention to the English (or whatever language) user prompt seen in the dialog - it schedules based on the internal name.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks Karl. having that working will save me a hour or so on each job.

Learn and get certified!