Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Problem with wall intersection related to hotlinked modules

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I have the following problem in Archicad 11 1210 NED FULL (edit: OS windows xp professional)

I have a group of walls, most of them just part of the PLN, some of them part of a hotlinked module. The layer of the walls has intersection group 2. The layer of the hotlinked module has intersection group 1. The wall saved into the module has intersection group 2 as well. In fact, it's just the same wall saved as a module and then mirrored.

For some reason the wall intersections won't clean up.

See attached screenshot.

Is this normal behaviour or a bug?

The funny thing is if I save the whole plan as a module (creating nested modules) the walls all clean up nicely. So for now this is my work-around: saving the entire building as a module and placing next to the original for dimensioning etc

wall_intersection.jpg
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
7 REPLIES 7
David Shorter
Advisor
You need to check the intersection number of the Master Layer, also you said " The layer of the walls has intersection group 2. The layer of the hotlinked module has intersection group 1." if these don't match it wont intersect properly
Hope this helps
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I should probably explain more thoroughly: a hotlinked module is placed on a layer, this layer has intersection group 1. The elements saved within the module all have the same layer intersectiongroups as those outside the module.

The project is an appartment block with mirrored plans/stories. So one half of the block is just normal elements in my PLN that I save as a module, this module is then mirrored after I placed it. So the wall intersecting on the left is excactly the same as the wall on the right. The only difference being that the one on the right is part of a hotlinked module.

Edit: I've changed the intersection group of the module layer to match the one of the wall's layer: this makes the wall clean up. Of course now all the other walls etc in the module don't intersect with the rest of my model I guess I'll just have to stick with saving the entire model as hotlinked module to have the proper wall intersections.

Thanks for the advice, David
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
David Shorter
Advisor
The intersection settings can be a pain.... try setting the master layer to intersection number 0, seem to remember this help any its worth a try. let us know if this helps
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried mirroring your pln file so you have 2 mod files 1 mirrored 1 not & bring both of them into a pln?
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Seeing as I am already saving the entire block as a module to use in a site-plan with other building blocks for the same project, I'm just placing this module of the entire model next too my model and dimensioning the module. This works fine. I don't really like hotlinking PLN's.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erika Epstein
Booster
You need to extend the wall you are going to save as a module so its reference line will meet the reference line of the wall(s) not in the module.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
The reference lines meet

As shown in attachment, when you save the entire model as a module and place that module, the wall intersections show up just fine.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5