Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

One project - can I do what I want with this program?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am only interested in the possibilities of this program for one reason: I am an architectural historian who wants to build a 3-d model of a building in my city that was demolished over a hundred years ago. I have the plans and photographs to work from, but no elevations.

Not only do I want a 3-d model, but I want an animation which will allow me to move through the building into the central rotunda.

...and that is all I want.

I have an intel-based Mac.

Now, for those of you in the know, can I do this using this program?

My thanks in advance for your thoughts.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you download some photos here for us?

Generally speaking, the modelling of the building should be able to be done in Archicad, but it is not great at animations (very poor camera control etc.), but an idea of the complexity of the building will help us advise better. The model could always be exported to another program (eg. Artlantis Studio) for animating. Others may have more experience in this field than myself, and offer different solutions.
Dwight
Newcomer
Krikey.
Hire it out.
Plenty of Archicad users in Virginny.

i take it back.
You shouldn't use a professional and complex application like Archicad, but you could get speedy with SketchUp at a fraction of the cost. Free, even.

http://www.sketchup.com/
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hire it out? Naaaaah - that would be too simple.

No photos handy of the building, but I will take a look at Sketchup - thanks for that tip.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Guerva wrote:
Hire it out? Naaaaah - that would be too simple.

No photos handy of the building, but I will take a look at Sketchup - thanks for that tip.
You might try Cadsoft Envisioneer as well for modelling, rendering and animations

Mark Hendricks
stefan
Expert
Check this academic paper from Bob Martens and Herbert Peter:

"Developing Systematics Regarding Virtual Reconstruction
of Synagogues"

http://info.tuwien.ac.at/raumsim/_research_activities/publications/200_2002_S6_5.pdf
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you looked at sketchup?