Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Google Connection / ArchiCAD Mac

rm
Expert
While watching an AC webinar today, they were demonstrating a great feature I was not aware, for good reason. If you run AC on Windows, you could import directly in AC any Sketchup models from Google 3D Warehouse.

The demo I was watching started on the Mac, but for this feature it was done in Windows. I figured they were just demonstrating parity between the Mac and Windows version of AC - not quite.

I was working on my Mac during the webinar. I went to GS to get the plugin to make it work with the Mac version of AC...... guess what, there is NO Mac version of the plugin, and according to the moderator of the AC Webinar, GS has no plans or time frame for creating the plugin for the Mac version of AC.

How could this be?!?!?!?! We all know ( including Graphisoft ) how dated and limited the available GDL objects and object libraries for AC are. Google has hundreds of thousands of objects available.

GS, PLEASE work with Google ASAP to get this plugin made for AC on the MAC.....this IS a greatly needed plugin.

If you use AC on a Mac, I would encourage you to contact your reseller and GS to let them know you would like have this feature built into the Mac version of AC.
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
11 REPLIES 11
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Robert,

See this (often heated) topic on this issue:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=16245

As of a year ago, the problem was that Google did not provide the necessary dev kit for Mac.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Dwight
Newcomer
Many developers aren't bothering to make Mac things since we now have VM Fusion and IntelMac to emulate Windows.

I was delighted to finally be able to create flowers in Onyx since they felt it too difficult to issue a Mac version.

No consolation to older mac operators, but there is a solution, even if it is a 'dark side solution.'

Now there's a name for a rock band.
Dwight Atkinson
rm
Expert
Dwight ( sorry about the name typo before )

I will get right on selling my ( 4 ) non-Intell PowerMac Towers, loaded to the gills with RAM, so I can buy AC 12, run it on Windows / Parallels, update all my software to Universal Binary to get the Google connectivity....that will work 😉 ...... oh and lets not forget Cigraph has gone AOL for AC 12 as well.

Some of you folks have a lot higher tolerance to broken promises and work-arounds than I do.

Too many years of hearing things will be fixed in with my main "axe" ( AC ) only to hear, lets say it together, ...." that will be fixed in v. ____ fill in number here".

OK, so is the work-around run AC in Windows, download the object, save it as an AC archive file in Windows, then open and use it on the Mac side.....does that at least work?

Thanks guys!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Karl Ottenstein
rm wrote:
OK, so is the work-around run AC in Windows, download the object, save it as an AC archive file in Windows, then open and use it on the Mac side.....does that at least work?
No need for archives or anything. The saved object is just a gsm. So, save to a shared folder if you are networking a PC and Mac. If running Parallels on your Mac, then just save from AC/Win on Parallels and then access the file from the Mac side.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rm
Expert
Hey Karl,

Thanks!!! Haven't chatted with you in some time, I see your massively active here with a lot of great input.

Now - can I interest you in some slightly used PowerMacs....only used on very small projects, by a little old lady

Cheers!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Dwight
Newcomer
That's okay, Ribbert:

When a matter has been "cooked": ie: pointed out by members, whinged at [at length] by members, solutions researched by members, sad OS-based problems discovered and a clear workaround established, that pretty much ends it.

But don't think me unsympathetic. I want everything to run flawlessly on mac, and it doesn't, because we still remain on the commercial sideline.

But let me tell you, last summer, before getting the IntelMac, I needed to export a substantial Archicad model to Google Earth. What a nightmare! Thanks to PC-meister Aaron Bourgoin for helping get the mac model into google earth via his PC.

But above all else, I want to be productive, and that means using whatever works for me today.
Dwight Atkinson
rm
Expert
Well it doesn't surprise me many of you stumbled on to my lightbulb discovery already. If you cared to look, I haven't been on this forum much in the last few years, been a little busy solving that whole global warning thing through creative "green" design solutions.....have you heard of it, it's going to be the new black! So, my bad for not using the the search engine

I have been complaining to GS for years about their lack luster effort to create consistent and current library parts. Now we really have an active community of very creative people populating sketchup objects up the yin-yang, and we on the Mac side are once again the step child here with GS. I don't believe for a minute that GS software engineers couldn't get this to work.....I think we all know they are some pretty smart folks.

Yes I agree there is a solution. However the solution is not available to everyone, just those that have Intel Based Macs. Seriously, I build some pretty complex models on my PowerMac G5s, and the machines are no where near end of life. I have been demoing AC 12 on them, and they are plenty fast.....so replacing now is just not an option for me, and I am guessing for a lot of folks.

I guess the question I have, and I did not see it answered in the link Karl provided, has GS REALLY tried to get this to work on the Mac side or did someone at GS just determine the return on investment was not big enough for them or is Google just not playing nice with Macs....
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Dwight
Newcomer
I don't think that they would lie to us about it.

I know of others who complain that the mac platform challenges certain programming issues.

But, something that looks easy can turn out to be complicated. A good example is Graphisoft's implementation of LightWorks that everyone thought would take two weeks until they saw just how sunlight was created. No mere rainy weekend spent at GSHQ was going to fix that.
Dwight Atkinson
rm
Expert
Dwight / Karl:

Im guessing you are using AC11 instead of AC12 if you are using the Google connection plug-in, yes?

....sidebar, since plug-ins from Cigraph, and Google seem to be lagging quite a bit behind the release of AC12, it would seem jumping into AC12 right now might not be the best move if you depend on the use of those plug-ins.

.....perhaps that topic should be on a different thread.

Gentlemen, your thoughts......... Dwayne, you can chime in as well 😉
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26