Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

3D Orbit

Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad 12

Is anyone having a problem with the 3D orbit function in perspective mode.

Sometimes the centre point of my orbit appears to be so far away it is impossible to orbit around a wall or object im working on. Has anyone else experienced this problem.

Ranked top of my annoyance list this one.
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Bryan
I've not had a problem with 12 regarding that.
This for me has usually meant that I have some object out a ways from model, or so it seems to me.
Someone else may know more.
Bier
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
BryanRichards wrote:
Archicad 12

Is anyone having a problem with the 3D orbit function in perspective mode.

Sometimes the centre point of my orbit appears to be so far away it is impossible to orbit around a wall or object im working on. Has anyone else experienced this problem.

Ranked top of my annoyance list this one.
Make a thick marquee around the area you work on and view marquee in 3D.
/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems to use the centre of whatever is selected as the point of rotation. Marquee option is a good suggestion. I noticed if you select an item while in the 3D window and then Orbit it will orbit around the selected item. This can be useful sometimes.
__archiben
Booster
s2art wrote:
This can be useful sometimes.
... but more often, not.

it went through discussion in the 10 development and was deemed useful, but having used it for two versions (10 and 11) i asked again for it to be abandoned and just have the 3D rotate around whatever you 'grab' when you invoke an orbit: make it consistent!

whilst i received agreement from the designer responsible at GS, it seems to me that the orbit-whilst-something-is-selected function is actually FAR worse than previously.

i can only apologise for starting it, and hope that they ditch it completely soon . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ive used the f5 (3d marque mode) and F3 (3d everything) , that seams irrelevant.
This is what happens.

Nothing selected, cross hair on a column: orientation moves around the closest object the navigation red cross hair hovers over.

Column selected with cross hair on a column: orientation no longer moves around the closest object the navigation red cross hair hovers over. If using F5 mode, the orientation now centres around the middle of the marque

Is this not annoying for anyone? The object of interest is always the abject your working on. So why can i not navigate around the selected object.
Worse still, i can only orientate my camera around an unselected object which has to be accurately aligned to the cross hair. Sometimes the view is so far away, panning is impossible, making it impossible to navigate your object of desire under the cross hair, inevitably making it impossible to rotate around the object your working on without spinning off into ablivion.

Solution.!!!!!!!!!

JUST MAKE THE SELECTED OBJECT CENTRE OF ROTATION or at least give me the option to. Highly annoying when modelling in 3d.
__archiben
Booster
BryanRichards wrote:
JUST MAKE THE SELECTED OBJECT CENTRE OF ROTATION or at least give me the option to. Highly annoying when modelling in 3d.
bryan - that isn't a robust enough solution: if the selected element is larger than the extent of the zoom in the 3D window, the orbit origin will lie outside of the field of view. that results in a huge gap between the orbit origin and orbit grab point . . . which in turn causes the model to orbit crazily out of view.

the only solution that i believe works is making the orbit origin the same as the orbit grab point: the place that you first click in the model when the orbit command is envoked - be that through the command itself or through temporarily enabling it with the SHIFT-middle mouse button combination.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
If your after robust solutions, toggling how orbit works is the way forward. Just like you toggle how marque works etc or how you draw a slab.

Anyhow, i understand what your saying about the large objects, good point, however its not great. Just look at Cinema 4d and adopt that camera solution. It works

PS
How often are you working on an object thats so big it will not fit on the screen? If its a huge slab this can be sliced
__archiben
Booster
BryanRichards wrote:
How often are you working on an object thats so big it will not fit on the screen? If its a huge slab this can be sliced
all the time - i'm usually constantly zooming in and out to pick up the right nodes when modelling in the 3D window.

you're saying i should dice my slab so that the 3D orbit works right? more scissors, cellotope and workarounds, hey?

it just needs fixing.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
+1

this is still not an option, correct?