Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Imported external drawings are invisible!

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I import an external drawing in v10, which I've done successfully hundreds of times, the imported drawing appears as an empty box...in other words, the external drawing seems invisible. All that I see on the layout sheet is an empty box with a drawing title attached. Any suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
What format is the imported drawing? DWG? PDF?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for responding. The imported drawing is also an ArchiCAD v10 file. We have some standard details, etc. that we simply import as external drawings instead of creating them as independent details. In the past, I've never had a problem bringing them in as external files.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You mean that you placed a View from another ArchiCAD file as a Drawing onto a Layout your own file?

Check what happens if you select the Drawing and right-click on it, is there a"Open external source View" command or something similar. Then use it to open it, probably in another ArchiCAD copy to see what that View stores. Just want to check that the View settings are correct in the other file so there is stuff to show up in the Drawing on the Layout.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I brought in an external view. Nothing happens when I right click on the drawing. View settings haven't changed and seem to be correct. I've tried bringing in this same view into other layouts, but the same thing happens...the view is completely empty.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It is kind of hard not seeing the file.
Maybe there is something with the Drawing Settings that causes this.
If you create a New Project based on the Template file and you place that external View on a Layout, does the same problem occur?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, the exact same problem happens. Very frustrating.
Karl Ottenstein
I wonder if it is related to either the drawing frame or the pen set associated with the drawing? Perhaps the drawing is there, but outside of the frame.

Did you try opening Drawing Settings for one of these external drawings and under the Frame panel, verifying that "Fit Frame to drawing" is selected?

Same dialog, under Properties, if the scale is right, is the Pen Set one which would have non-white pens for the drawing elements?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Drawing still isn't there. Checked drawing settings, just to make sure all settings were correct. Perhaps this external drawing file became corrupt somehow. We've had problems, actually much worse, with other files lately, where all fonts convert automatically to an alternate font and where all layer sets are dismantled (EVERYTHING falls onto one layer). We've used ArchiCAD for 11 years and have never experienced any of these problems until two months ago.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Does the same problem happen when you place the View on a Layout in the same file the View is located, not in another file?