BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

CIGRAPH AC12 VERSIONS

Nuge
Advocate
I have just received my copy of AC12 and was flabbergasted that the Cigraph versions are still a month or so away from release (and will require a dongle). Surely Graphisoft should be keeping these companys in the loop regarding release dates.

Does anyone have a workaround (other than save all objects as GDL) as i have a large job i want to bring thru to AC12 but it has numerous archiforma objects.

Regards Nuge
AC27 i9 11900K / 128G ram / GTX 3090 / D5 Render
56 REPLIES 56
gpowless
Advocate
Cadimage does not seem to have a lot of problems spanning Archicad upgrades. I've used Door Window Builder for a while and was able to bridge the releases of Archicad.

I don't mind upgrading add-ons either but I'll tell you that having to upgrade Cigraph products and not being able to use them for months after really pisses me off. What adds insult to injury is that the so-called "upgrade" has no improvements and it is there so that you can pay Cigraph a fee just to use what you already own!

I haven't upgraded Architerra and won't upgrade Archistair the next time around unless Cigraph changes their way of dealing with "upgrades" As far as I am concerned there shouldn't have been a cost to this upgrade since they screwed us around, and there should never be a cost if the version is the same without any improvements. I've already purchased Stair Builder (for ver 11 BTW) and it works fine in 12. Once I master it I'll have no other reason to shop Cigraph products again.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
gpowless
Do you mind me asking; how does Stair Builder seem to work with regards to winders?
Bier
From one who had his first college English class in a medicine lodge size teepee.
25of us use to sit in a circle, light a fire and smoke a traditional pipe with local herbs at the start of each class:-))
That was 25 years ago. Shame, but that's has not been offered for many years now.
Bye the way, have you ever seen Nathan Lefthand's truly amazing Indian
jewelery?
http://www.lefthandstudio.net
KeesW
Advocate
We have a copy of ArchiStair but couldn't use it. Why? because it insisted on having a gap between the flights in a Ú'shaped stair.' It only needed to be 1mm - but it had to be there. Plays havoc with dimensioning! Is the latest version any better?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
gpowless
Advocate
Stairbuilder handlers winders a lot easier in my opinion than Archistair. The method is different though, and it takes some getting used to defining stairs on the plan and on the fly instead of trying to trip around a dialog box and hoping on each trial (as with Archistair) that you get it right this last time.....

The downside of Stairbuilder is that there are a lot of parametric parts that need to be defined before you start drawing the stairs and it can be frustrating trying to find where they went. I also haven't been able to figure out how to get the travel arrow to be storey sensitive since it always seems to point up even if it is traveling down from the current storey. One great thing is that Stairbuilder includes a railing tool that can put railings on the stairs or the landings around stairs, or on any balcony or deck you want.

I figure with this being my last term with Archistair I have a bit of time yet to master Stairbuilder.

BTW we don't do teepees. We are Longhouse people, Kayenke'haka.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
gpowless; Thanks for the information about Kayenke'haka.
And thanks for the comments regarding Stairbuilder.
Helps elucidate the slick movie clip.
Take care.
Bier
stefan
Expert
Yet one more reason to not use plug-ins... Every single plug-in I did use in the past was deprecated one or two ArchiCAD updates later. So I stopped using them.

The fact that an r11 plugin does not work in r12 is not the fault of Cigraph, though. This is a development issue with ArchiCAD. Each new release breaks binary compatibility (wether justified or not by the internal changes).

But adding a dongle for a plugin seems a bad decisions. If they would allow you to "add" the license to the ArchiCAD dongle as an option, then they would have a better solution.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
The fact that an r11 plugin does not work in r12 is not the fault of Cigraph, though. This is a development issue with ArchiCAD. Each new release breaks binary compatibility (wether justified or not by the internal changes).
Well, when i shouted about those compatibility issues, i was a bad guy
stefan
Expert
oreopoulos wrote:
stefan wrote:
Well, when i shouted about those compatibility issues, i was a bad guy
You were always critical. And in most cases for the right reasons. Rest assured that most people who are active here are positive about ArchiCAD but very critical about its features and future(s).
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Djordje
Ace
stefan wrote:
But adding a dongle for a plugin seems a bad decisions. If they would allow you to "add" the license to the ArchiCAD dongle as an option, then they would have a better solution.
... as is the case with the MEP Modeler. The functionality is the same - it works where the dongle is.

Then again ... 15 plugins and counting. The WIBU probably has a limit of the licenses it can carry.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
KeesW
Advocate
Things are not looking good for Cigraph. We use Architerra ( and a few others) and have repeated asked them when the AC12 upgrages are being released. They just ignore the question.

The dongle situation is even worse. We have two licenses for all of their add-ons and received ONE complimentary dongle. Upon asking them for a second so that we can run our other copies, we have been told that Cigraph's policy is to offer only one free dongle and that the others have to be bought. This is unacceptable. The use of dongles is their decision, not that of the users. We will presumably (eventually) be able to buy two upgrades but won't be able to use the second until we also pay for another dongle.

Are there any alternatives to Architerra?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Learn and get certified!