BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

question about working in AC in general

Anonymous
Not applicable
hey

i am a rather new archicad user
the way we work in the office in the begining of a project is that we create
alot of alternatives in a single file (mostley private 2 floors private houses)
after a plan was chosen by the client we start designing the house in 3d in a more accurate way

my question is if most people working in archicad, are doing each version in a single file or everything in 1 file

the problem is in 3d - that if i want to work in 3d i have to "see" all of the other, old models . is there a way to choose what i see in 3d ,i mean which version >?

in raltion to the last question, is it realy possible to to create a whole, complete project using layers and layer-groups and create everything - plans, section, 3d ,flooring plans ect. in 1 single file ? ? ?

hope i was clear, and thanks
(:
8 REPLIES 8
Chris Grantham
Advocate
I would probably do all of your space plans in one file then just marquee what you want to see in 3D. When you decide which plan you like do a save as, rename it, and delete all of the other options. This way you have an archive of all the other ideas in case the client changes their mind.

I am not sure I really understand your second question.... You should have your entire project in one file... unless of course you are using .mod files which I doubt you would use much on 2 story houses.

Hope this helps!
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
Anonymous
Not applicable
my question is if most people working in archicad, are doing each version in a single file or everything in 1 file
Why keep everything in one file
unless of course you are using .mod files which I doubt you would use much on 2 story houses
Think of a module as a component of the design you are creating

I would & do have every clients scheme (Paid exclusives exempted) in 1 JOB FOLDER each as a separate MODULE
Every bathroom, laundry, floor plan layout/alternative etc is a module in my Main MODULES folder listed by type (library)

You can even do your terrain/landscaping as existing/proposed/future modules
I am able to use any module (from any Project or any idea) & I prefer to do this for Single story residential or Massive commercial planning.

Modules make it is easy to show any scheme, model, layout, combination or alternative in a master file linked to any or all modules creating an entire town of your models or MODULES if desired.
Use this method to create a presentation also

Of course this is just my opinion & one way I setup modules
Djordje
Ace
Versions should go to different files.

Or, when you know which one is final, remove the rest. Why do you want ArchiCAD and your computer being clogged by all the unnecessary data? How does Zoom to fit works? And so on ...

In short - if you keep ALL the versions in one file, the end result is a mess, slow software response and a lot of forced workarounds.

Think about it this way: you are NOT doing the drawings. You are building the building in the computer. Would you build all of the versions at the same time?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You can also consider using Teamwork for different design alternatives.

Cheers,
Link.
KeesW
Advocate
We've tried to do it all in one file but found it too difficult - Djorde is right. It required too much control of layers, caused problems with priorities when wall positions are changed or items are demolished, and lots of other conflicts. Unlike Revit, Archicad is not set up to control alternative proposals in such an organised manner (it would be good if it did). We use separate files for alternatives and even for job stages - e.g. working drawings are kept in a separate file from design drawings.

However, the better use of modules sounds interesting and we might try it.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Kees,

A single file really is the way to go. Any change you make to the model goes into the working drawings. Use layers and saved views in View map to create the difference between design views and document view using the same model. Saved views are very powerful organizing agents.

Do a Google on: "Archicad Master Template" (Bobrow Consulting) for an eye opening tour of why it is worth switching to a single file for each job, soup to nuts. You needn't be so elaborate, but these guys understand Archicad in depth.

I agree with the save-as comments above.

Mark
--------------------------
AC-12-2325, XP, 1Gb
Erika Epstein
Booster
I'm in the Djordje, Link and Martin camp. I find having a separate file for each scheme and/or portions thereof can be saved as modules . This makes IMHO for far simpler layer and layer combinations throughout the life of a project.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Shivang Rajvir
Participant
I am agree with Djordje, Link, Martin & Erika.
We work in different files for different options, this gives more precision & less workaround.

My suggestion is you use Zones after basic 2D plans finalisation and than save the file for various designs options and build walls.
ARCHICAD Lover

http://www.dimensionplus.in

Core i7 3.4 GHz, AC 9 to 22

MacBook Air Core i3 1.6 GHz - 8 Gb RAM
Learn and get certified!