BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Thinking Revit vs ArchiCAD? Stick this thread!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some of you are aware of the noise coming from the Revit user community regarding the new release and how many users are frustrated that long-standing wishes were not met, and instead we got a half-baked UI that might work out in the end, but was not asked for.

A widely respected Revit user and implementor (see http://architechure.blogspot.com) who worked for Revit pre and post Autodesk buyout has blogged clearly and humourously about the shortcomings of the new release.

And now he's being pushed out by Autodesk -- he's being told that he can't speak at Autodesk University, the annual educational conference held in Las Vegas. His sessions are a gold mine to Revit users, and he's become a mentor to many of us in our quest to master the software.

But he didn't toe the company line, so he's gone.

Do you folks want to use software from a company that behaves more like a cult than a software vendor?

Long live ArchiCAD.
56 REPLIES 56
Anonymous
Not applicable
but who's hole will get fixed first?
Dwight
Newcomer
Depends whose marketing department can convince water to not rush in.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
So true.
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's interesting to compare the marketing strategy between the two companies isn't it. All of Autodesks websites and products all have this 'sheen' of professionalism. Whilst Graphisoft/Nemetschek would appear to let the product speak for itself.

It seems every single one of Autodesks employees, consultants, resellers and their mothers all have blogs promoting and praising the software, whilst there isn't a single 'official' GS ArchiCAD blog out there, and barely a handful of unoffical ones!

It's no suprise when you look at how much each company spends each year on marketing alone; in 2008 Nemetschek spent just under 8 million dollars, while Autodesk spent 850 million dollars! I appreciate their portfolio is somewhat larger, but $850,000,000 ! If you crudely compare the amount spent marketing to their net revenue, Nemetschek spent approx 5%, whilst Autodesk spent 40% of their revenue!

It's amazing any company can compete, let alone GS/Nemetscheks with their rather lower-key marketing effort.

Marketing and image seem to be Autodesks priority, but judging from the trouble the unwanted interface redesign has caused, it seems that no matter how much money you throw at something, it can still go wrong! Maybe there is still a market out there for providing a product just works, and works beautifully, without having to tart it up with unnecessary bling and complexity!

(The source for the figures are here and here, if you're interested!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree, it's very interesting how the two different companies operate. And yes you can't out spend Autodesk. i wonder if that spend will pay off?
Did you know that for every copy of their software that is sold, 3 are downloaded illegally? ouch

As for the sheen of professionalism, i think GS should take a tiny portion of that $8m and spend it on a facelift to the this website's template. First impressions still count. Then back it up with a great product that works.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure we've all seen examples of products that are just right at a fair price and people literally almost bust the doors down to buy it with no fancy advertisement, just the power of grass roots word of mouth.
Could it be that spending that money on the software,not ads, be the key to attract that joyous crowd mentality?

Can't be specific, but wait till the big outfits start using "13" they will be blown away at it's group speed!

We can all start chanting now>>>
Go Graphy!, Go Graphy!, Go Graphy!....................
(Even though, I'm generally a go/buy USA kinda a guy!)
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Peter wrote:
It seems every single one of Autodesks employees, consultants, resellers and their mothers all have blogs promoting and praising the software, whilst there isn't a single 'official' GS ArchiCAD blog out there, and barely a handful of unoffical ones!
These gold-diggers make money on peoples ignorance. It's a self feeding mechanism. For example we have opportunity seekers creating "BIM-objects" as a "way to enhance the super product" blabla while it's in reality is a really poor localization creating the need for really basic objects (and the home brewn stuff is not BIM... it's not IFC nor working internally for quantity take offs etc). It must be every sales persons dream to have a huge customer base that never questions anything. Our customers are very demanding because they've been there for several years.
Peter wrote:
Maybe there is still a market out there for providing a product just works, and works beautifully, without having to tart it up with unnecessary bling and complexity!
Indeed! IMO AC is that tool since long ago even if there are some things that could be greatly improved/implemented. Software is organic, it never stops developing.

Equally important as the software itself is the localization. Without it any software it is pretty cumbersome to get going in speed and style.

Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes most of the 'BIM' revit objects just seem to be simple static objects. These seem to be the best available for Revit www.andekan.com/ hardly amazing compared to what we can & do produce in AC.

i'm sure many companies will wake up and realize AC has a better offering. There's nothing like frustration to make people try something different.
Anonymous
Not applicable
sdb wrote:
yes most of the 'BIM' revit objects just seem to be simple static objects. These seem to be the best available for Revit www.andekan.com/ hardly amazing compared to what we can & do produce in AC.

i'm sure many companies will wake up and realize AC has a better offering. There's nothing like frustration to make people try something different.
Okay - how is it a better offering? Sell me on the idea, because a lot of angry Revit users could switch given the chafing they got with this new release.

I've watched very carefully over the shoulders of AC users and I have found it hard to imagine switching. Tom is more qualified to vet your assertion on whose offering is more complete... I think the reality is that both apps require a level of knowledge beyond CAD, and it's only a lack of knowledge that bars anyone from being completely successful on either platform.
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
metanoia wrote:
whose offering is more complete...
I'd like to say whose offer is more suited for the purpose. Many people mistake complete for features.

IMHO AC lacks some cool features (right now that is) but more than makes up for it with excellent workflow. All small things that the AC user takes for given...all those small things together that makes your process efficient are worth their weight in gold...it's the overall workflow.
Workflow can't be bought.

/Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Learn and get certified!