Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex Profile Demons

jbArch
Newcomer
I thought I'd worked out the demons with these profiles, but now suddenly some of the corners are not cleaning up.

I'm attaching a jpeg of two conditions:
1. On the left are walls created using a complex profile. There are no doors or windows, and the walls clean up nicely in 3D.

2. On the right, a copy of the same walls but with doors. When the doors are included, the intersections get sloppy in 3D. In 2D plan, everything is fine.

The wall group to the left is actually a copy of the other walls, but then I deleted the doors -- Immediately the walls cleaned up. I am using standard door library parts from the AC10 library, AC10 build 1188.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
JB
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
11 REPLIES 11
Dwight
Newcomer
Can you flip the hot side of the walls relative to the front faces of the openings?
Dwight Atkinson
jbArch
Newcomer
Dwight, Do you mean to just put the reference line on the interior side (non-brick side) of the walls?
Hadn't thought of it, I'll give it a try.

thanks.
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
Dwight
Newcomer
There's only so many things that can be wrong that don't involve the spirit world. The reference line is one of them that affects how walls trim-up.
Dwight Atkinson
Thomas Holm
Booster
jbArch wrote:
Any ideas on how to solve this problem?
Upgrade to AC11.

it's probably a bug, and you should report it to your reseller, but the chances that GS would issue a fix for the old program version is probably nil.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
jbArch
Newcomer
Dwight's idea almost worked. I moved the reference line to the inside of the wall
Looks good except that the wide bank of doors also cuts out the wall above & below.

JB
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Thomas Holm
Booster
Looks like the door bank is longer than the wall at rhe reference line, i e it goes beyond the intersection point at both ends. Try moving the reference line back a bit.
jbArch
Newcomer
Thomas, I understand what you are saying about the wall length, but I'm not sure what you mean about the reference line location.

I lengthened the wall by a foot on each side of the doors, but I get the same results... see attached jpeg if you are curious. Reference line is on the "back" (non-brick) side of the wall.

I've figured out that the problem goes away if I use a single library part. The version shown here is a pair of doors in the center plus a single door on each side, so that's 3 library parts for the bank of doors. It is unlikely I'll get the appearance I want (e.g. fat mullions at the transom) but it is a decent workaround.

JB
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
jbArch
Newcomer
For anyone interested, I got a decent workaround by doing the following:
1. Moved reference line to the inside of the wall.
2. Switched to a single library part (D2 2Sidelight 10) for the bank of doors. Ganging doors together seemed to be part of the bug.
3. Added a separate window part for the transom. Used adjustable H-V grids to get the mullions in the right place.

Thanks for the help!

JB
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Thomas Holm
Booster
Nice solution you found!
jbArch wrote:
Thomas, I understand what you are saying about the wall length, but I'm not sure what you mean about the reference line location.
There is a "Modify wall" command that gives you a dialog which lets you move the reference line in several ways without moving the wall. I thought you could use it to experiment.
I lengthened the wall by a foot on each side of the doors, but I get the same results... see attached jpeg if you are curious. Reference line is on the "back" (non-brick) side of the wall.
It is clearly a bug. You should report it through your reseller (if you haven't already).
I've figured out that the problem goes away if I use a single library part. The version shown here is a pair of doors in the center plus a single door on each side, so that's 3 library parts for the bank of doors. It is unlikely I'll get the appearance I want (e.g. fat mullions at the transom) but it is a decent workaround.
I'm not sure what you mean by "fat mullions at the transom" but your workaround looks quite good and realistic to me.