Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC12 elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have noticed the following in both AC11 & AC12.

When a cylindrical shaped wall is viewed in 3D either as a Internal or OpenGL generated image the joint line of the two halves are visible. I did bring this issue up once before but I didn't expect this to persist in AC12. I realize I rotate the cylinder but then joint will show in a different view!

When a elevation generated by a Elevation Marker is converted into a PDF file the vertical wall segments lines are clearly visible especially if the cylinder is rendered in a dark color (see attached image). This is also true in Internal 3D image.

In AC 12 only

To see the result of the setting change made in the Elevation Selection Settings > Model Display > Final Uncut Surface I have to open a different elevation model in View Map, and back to the original again. Example if the original elevation did not have the material color displayed, after I have selected ‘Own Material Colors’ to show them, I have to select and open a different elevation view then reopen the first elevation to see the change. Very odd!

I did not have to go through these steps with the AC 11 generated elevation views. The change in material color display or the reverse was immediate.

Thanks.

Bala
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
image file is easier for preview than pdf do.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
ArchiCAD unfortunately cannot make a full circle Wall.
It has to create it using two half circle Walls.
If you go to the Floor Plan or 3D you will see that the two halves can be selected separately: it is actually two Walls.
It is a technological shortcoming, I guess.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I hope future versions of AC will accomplish a full circle without any breaks. As for the smaller segmented vertical lines as shown on the pdf file (see earlier part of this discussion string) is this also a shortfall of AC 12?

Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bala wrote:
is this also a shortfall of AC 12?
It's still the same in AC12 I'm afraid. One possible work around is that you can make a single wall 359.99 degrees long with a small gap (which can be filled with another short piece of wall). You may be able to prevent this single join from appearing in any elevation by rotating it all to a position where it is hidden.

Another method may be to draw the circular shape on plan with fills and then paste into the complex profile manager. If you set this for use with a column, which simply extrudes a shape upwards, it should appear seamless on plan.

The downside is the difficulty in placing doors and windows into it. The workaround (to the workaround!) is to place some slabs to SEO the openings from it, which can then be hidden. Place doors and windows into discrete pieces of curved wall put into the openings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Peter. Hopefully we don't have to employ all these work around solutions sometimes in the near future.

Happy Holidays.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I wouldnt count on it. In AC, I think a wall has to have six sides, by its very nature.

You can always rotate it, to hide the seam as best you can.

Cheers,
Link.