Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Teamwork between mac/pc

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I have heard there were mac/pc issues teamworking projects in AC9, which led my office to go pc only. Now that we are looking again, I'm wondering if anyone has experience teamworking in AC11 in a mixed mac/pc environment?

Thanks in advance
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
We have one user that uses a Mac Laptop and the rest are on PC desktops. So far so good.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I am now having some more significant problems running AC12 Teamwork using both Mac and PC.

The problem is that the Mac team member can sign in, work and save, but sending and receiving is suspect. Crashes "some" of the time. But CHANGING WORKSPACE seems to crash EVERY TIME.

Project has been shared from both Mac and PC. We have just had this team member move to a PC, open his same .plc and has been working just fine. I have been working fine on PC as both team member and team leader.

The .plp resides on a MAC File server (originally was shared on a PC Fileserver). Sometimes the problem shows up as a CRASH, other times as a HANG.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS... We just got the mac about a month ago and integrating it into the PC office has been a struggle. If anyone is successfully operating with both systems full time, please reassure me that it is possible! I am tired of getting the sales pitch that they work seamlessly together.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
vfrontiers wrote:
PS... We just got the mac about a month ago and integrating it into the PC office has been a struggle. If anyone is successfully operating with both systems full time, please reassure me that it is possible! I am tired of getting the sales pitch that they work seamlessly together.
My experience never seems to be typical but I have been interoperating with Macs and PCs (and Macs as PCs) for many years with relatively little trouble. I am presently working in a mixed environment with no problems at all (though we have so far had no need of teamwork). I have recently worked with some Windows based firms using teamwork on my MacBook Pro booted in both Mac and Windows with no problems. This was in 9, 10 and 11. I haven't used teamwork on a project in 12 yet.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Matthew,

Do you SERVE files from a MAC? If so, what is the magic to have NEW FOLDERS / FILES that are created by people at large, inherit the permissions of the enclosing folder?

[I realize this is a side issue, but I've got my teammate working on PC now to get thru our deadline. In addition, the person that he traded places with climbed onto his mac and had exactly the same problem with a completely different file.]
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
vfrontiers wrote:
Matthew,

Do you SERVE files from a MAC? If so, what is the magic to have NEW FOLDERS / FILES that are created by people at large, inherit the permissions of the enclosing folder?

[I realize this is a side issue, but I've got my teammate working on PC now to get thru our deadline. In addition, the person that he traded places with climbed onto his mac and had exactly the same problem with a completely different file.]
The only times I worked with Mac servers they were in Mac only offices so I'm not sure I can be much help on that score. I vaguely remember getting the permissions set up properly so that members of the correct group had the proper access to new folders but I can't recall the details. It's probably changed since then anyway. I rarely get involved in the IT/network stuff so my knowledge of this is mostly as an observer.
cgrimley
Contributor
Duane,
We are having the same problem, we have 3 guinea pig mac users, and the rest are still on PC. We started the macs on a windows server, and we didn't have teamwork issues until we switch to the mac server, so we're pretty sure it has something to do with the server.
Our IT guy has a couple ideas that we're testing out today. I will post an update on whether it worked or not.
Casey Grimley
AC24
iMac Pro (2017) - macOS 10.14.6- 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W - 32GB RAM - Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Keep an eye on the Open/Save times when you're passing files between Macs and PCs - don't know if it has something to do with diff. network paths to Hotlinks, Modules, etc, but the times balloon to insane levels .. and no one has ever been able to explain why.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
vfrontiers wrote:
I am now having some more significant problems running AC12 Teamwork using both Mac and PC.
Are you using the same protocol on MACs and PCs when connecting to the server - we had problems when teamworking using SMB on PCs and AFP on MACs.

Now both using SMB on PC server.

--
Regards, Juha
Christiaan
Participant
vfrontiers wrote:
If so, what is the magic to have NEW FOLDERS / FILES that are created by people at large, inherit the permissions of the enclosing folder?
Try Apple's Mac OS X Server discussion forum:
http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=96

This might be of interest too, although I'm not sure how relevant:
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=8456140#8456140