Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Resizing Objects (2d or 3d)

DaveOlufs
Participant
As a wish, it would be great to edit the size of an element by the following:

1- Select the object.
2- TAB into an edit window and set the x, y, or z lengths OR
2A- TAB into the same edit window to set the a, r or d elements.

There is no way to select an object and know it's size without physically measuring or dimensioning it. If an element was selected, the same EDIT window noted above would give immediate size information for review or resizing...

Just a thought from a new user.
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
11 REPLIES 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
DaveOlufs wrote:
There is no way to select an object and know it's size without physically measuring or dimensioning it.
Dave:

The A, B and Z dimensions of an object will appear in the Info Box (and can be edited there) when selected. The heights ("t" for top, "b" for bottom) can be selected via keyboard shortcuts "t" and "b" (depending on the Work Environment settings). Keyboard shortcuts for "a" and "b" (tho' "b" would need a different letter) would be a plus. Or maybe you are talking about something else entirely.

David
Info-Box-dimensions.gif
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
DaveOlufs
Participant
David,

Thanks for your response.

For example, when I selected a slab and when I look at my INFO Box, I don't see the x and y dimensions. I do see the z dimension. There is also a palette that gives the element information but not the x and y dimensions.

It's possible that I'm missing something but on a simple line, I can get info on a floating palette about the size and orientation of the line. On a slab, I can obtain the z dimension, area, circumference but not the x and y dimensions.

As a wish, it would be helpful when looking at different elements to see at a glance what the x and y dimensions are without having to measure or dimension... I just don't see it but again, I'm a new user.
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

iMac Pro 3.2GHz Quad, 32GB, OSX 10.13.6, AC-5, 6, 6.5, 7, stopped for a few years--started again with 12 thru 17, 18 or 19 didn't work, then 20, 21, now skipped to 23. Started in 1976 hand-drafting ink on mylar...
Anonymous
Not applicable
DaveOlufs wrote:
For example, when I selected a slab and when I look at my INFO Box, I don't see the x and y dimensions. I do see the z dimension. There is also a palette that gives the element information but not the x and y dimensions.
How do you define the X and Y from this slab and the wall?
sshot-73.gif
DaveOlufs
Participant
You don't and I don't define slabs like that... I don't build slabs like that either. If I build a circular wall, I know where the center point is located and I know the radius and arc length. And yes, having an edit palette to view these is helpful for quick analysis rather than measuring or dimensioning.

If you've never had a quick edit palette that you can quickly see and revise information (on simple items), then you don't know what you're missing.

I was asking, as a wish, to have an information box on elements selected to give me the x, y and z directions or r, d and a... on simple items for quick data retrieval and/or editing.
Dave Olufs
Just 4 Measure, Ltd

Anonymous
Not applicable
DaveOlufs wrote:
If you've never had a quick edit palette that you can quickly see and revise information (on simple items), then you don't know what you're missing.
I well know ways of editing in ArchiCAD and in AutoCAD. The way offered by you, shows how it is made in AutoCAD. I think that will pass time and you completely will master editing in ArchiCAD, will do it easily and quickly.

Erika Epstein
Booster
Valery wrote:
I well know ways of editing in ArchiCAD and in AutoCAD. The way offered by you, shows how it is made in AutoCAD. I think that will pass time and you completely will master editing in ArchiCAD, will do it easily and quickly.
I agree; how you work in archicad is different than autocad. In archicad we build virtual buildings. We are placing and editing elements relative to other building elements.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
In response to this. I am a new user of ArchiCAD, coming over from the AutoCAD world after using Civil 3D and LDD for 4 years. I feel your pain.

It will take me a while to get used to drafting in ArchiCAD, apparently 2D drafting can be done just as fast in ArchiCAD, but I'm not fast at all yet.

Some general thoughts comparing the two programs:

I like 2D drafting better in AutoCAD.
I like the cursor and snaps better in AutoCAD.
I like that my screen is black, my cursor is a crosshair. my snaps are orangeish, my grips to stretch and grab highlighted objects are blue and square.
I like that editable (live) objects pop out as I pass my cursor over them.
I like that my properties box gives the length of a polyline when I select it, it tells me if it's closed or not. it gives me the area of a polyline or a hatch and all other geometry I might need for quick reference, or for Quantities take offs etc...
I like having a command line, I like being able to see my commands as I type them in. I like the command line prompts (I don't like a floating command line that follows my cursor and I don't like pet palettes)

Can I get the length of a polyline (or a wall) simply by selecting it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, a few more things. I like in AutoCAD, when I am copying a object the copy command stays on until i hit escape so I can copy as many times as I want without interruption, and I like that I can just hit enter to return to the last command I was in... Can I change options so ArchiCAD will do either of these things? I just got done doing a grading permit in ArchiCAD and it was frustrating for me since I'm so used to AutoCAD land.
Erika Epstein
Booster
cesarzlu wrote:
I like 2D drafting better in AutoCAD.
But 2D is all it did

Can I get the length of a polyline (or a wall) simply by selecting it?

For many of your questions, you can have tracker on, hover your cursor over the element, and it will give you feedback you want. There is also an Element Information Palette where you can find this information Window>Palettes>Element Information

Keep in mind that in archicad, unlike autocad, 2D elements are just for annotation. It will take time to learn archicad as it did when you learned autocad. You are learning a new language. It's also similar to learning to play an instrument where you start slowly perfecting your technique and then build up your speed.
As to the visual user interface differences, you will get used to them. Most people find a lighter background a lot easier on the eyes.

Re: copying, when you want to place multiple copies hold down the alt+control or opt+cmd on mac and a second [+ +]will appear. You can place as many copies of something as you want. Double click to stop.
Or explore ctrl/cmd+K for multiplying

We all miss what we are familiar with,but soon you will wonder how you managed without Archicad.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"