Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Brand Spanking New GDL Book

Cadimage Tools scripting wizards have written a big book on GDL - to be published shortly.

http://blog.cadimagetools.com/
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
106 REPLIES 106
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Laszlo, Lec and Owen.

Perhaps part of this discussion could be held elsewhere. If you prefer, you can log onto the forum on the Cadimage Tools website.

http://www.cadimagetools.com/resources/forums.aspx

I'll keep an eye on both forums.
Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all I'll reiterate, I like the discussion here.
I'm sure it will grow as word gets out.
Second;
I had to take a break,(go make some money) Funny thing that money stuff.
While the inks drying....
I've read ahead up to page 50 and think I understand the easier stuff.
But thought I'd jump back to page 21 and actually enter some code you suggest on 21.
I made a new object>selected a subtype (My playground) I had made from previous instructions.
I copy pasted the code from page 21 object I downloaded (to make sure I did not make a typing error) and as you can see, the script says it's ok, but does not give me the 2d image as you show when I hit the
2d full view. I get the box on the right.
Any guesses on what I may have screwed up Andrew?
thanks
Page 21.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lec, I think the trouble with the slide object is the default parameter values.

If you change the values to:
a = 10'-0"
b = 2'-0"
zzyzx = 6'-0"
runIn = 3'-0"
runOut = 3'-0"
the result should more closely resemble the illustration.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Andrew
Well thanks for the reply!
I changed the A, B, and zzyzx in parameters
as that seemed obviously what you meant.
Looked at script and could not see where to change runIn/runOut.
So, I then created the parameters runIn and runOut
and defined them as 3' each.
I then got, as you said, something closer to what is in book.
Is this what you meant me to do?
If it is, I'm feeling pretty good.
If not, I'll go at it again tomorrow.
Getting late here again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes that's right, Lec.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Andrew!
I'm overjoyed!
Well at least glad.
Now have made a quantum leap to 3d script on page 22.

Again pasted from downloaded .gsm and got extra script call out for parameter Material slideMat which of course is not in the book so my bad.
Ran it and came up with error, of course!

So I made material for slideMat and that error went away.

However, also was, and still am,(even if I delete my added material and call out for it in script) getting error about "polygon degenerated" in line (my 4 since I added material), but even if I delete my added slideMat
(so script is as it is in book) I sill get this polygon "degenerated error"
regarding; tube 8, 6, 51,
And of course, it won't generate 3d image.
Hints again?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Lec,

It sounds like you are gaining in confidence! Yes you'll see a lot of error messages. The trick as you've found is to interpret them and understand why they occur.
However, also was, and still am ... getting error about "polygon degenerated" in line ... 4 ... And of course, it won't generate 3d image.
Hints again?
If you look at the 'tube' command, you'll see two variables edgeHeight and edgeThick. You'll need to add corresponding parameters to the Parameters list, and set some default values (say 8" and 3").
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, thanks again.
Worked perfectly.
I now see I should have gotten this one on my own , based on other examples you provided.
I guess I let the warning dialog stop my thinking on line 4.
This was a simple one.
I'll try not to make that mistake again!
Erika Epstein
Booster
Andrew wrote:
You'll need to add corresponding parameters to the Parameters list, and set some default values (say 8" and 3").
Andrew, I noticed when I started your book that some basic steps such as 'add [noted] parameters' would be a useful addition to your book. The beginner steps and lists of definitions and variables or where to find them if in another source would also be helpful. Ferenc can recite all this backwards in his sleep and in 3 languages. The rest of us..

Perhaps these addendii could be down-loadable with our code for the library file for those of us who have your book?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Erika,

Thanks very much for your suggestions. If you could give me an example of the sort of thing you would find helpful, I'll be happy to provide some extra notes etc.

I guess the first thing would be some detailed instructions about adding parameters? This is briefly outlined (in chapter 2 I believe) but is admittedly a little light on detail.

If you like you can contact me direct at andrew@cadimagetools.com.