Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

from AutoCAD to ArchiCAD to save as .ifc format

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

I've been using AutoCAD for a long time and am new to ArchiCAD. The reason I started using ArchiCAD is the need for having IFC files of the AutoCAD drawings.

At first I tried to convert an AutoCAD drawing to an ArchiCAD file and then saved it as .ifc format. But it didn't work, I couldn't view it as an IFC file. Then I did another drawing only with ArchiCAD and saved it as .ifc and viewed it very well.

I wonder what happens when I tried to convert AutoCAD to ArchiCAD and why I couldn't view it as IFC later? What can be the problem, what/where am I doing wrong?

I've been working on this subject for a couple of days, and couldn't find the answer yet. I couldn't find this issue in the topics either, sorry if it's posted before but I need help a lot and any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Gursans
7 REPLIES 7
Erika Epstein
Booster
When you say you are working in autocad, is it just autocad which is primarily 2D info or something else?

Also, if it does have 3D autodesk(?), you could try importing it into archicad as a library part and see if that will do it.
Let us know!
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
AutoCAD drawings (or even 3D models) don't carry enough information to produce meaningful IFC files. There may be some add-ons that do (and maybe ADT does it) but so far only ArchiCAD and Revit seem to do a creditable job on the Architectural side.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick replies!

Firstly, yes, I'm working on a simple 2D drawing on AutoCAD. I tried to make the whole drawing a "block" and then import it to ArchiCAD as a library part, but it again didn't work with IFC. But I'm afraid I might possibly be doing something wrong here, can you tell me how it's done (importing as a library part), too please? And do you think it still might work even the drawing is 2D?

"...There may be some add-ons that do (and maybe ADT does it)..."

What do you mean by ADT here?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you have given yourself a fool's errand. (Like when the apprentice cuts the trim too short so we send him to the truck to get the wood stretcher.)

I doubt that there is any information in the AutoCAD drawing that would be useful (or even usable) to an IFC file, and even if there were it would likely be lost in the translation to ArchiCAD.

You would do best to reference the DWG into ArchiCAD and use the ArchiCAD tools to create a proper building model. This will then generate a proper IFC model.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I guess you're right, but I really wanted to give AutoCAD a chance!

And yes again, what I'm doing right now is "referencing the DWG into ArchiCAD and using the ArchiCAD tools to create a proper building model" Thanks for the advice, anyway..
But some new questions have arised here now! Can't wait for new inputs, thanks in advance!
For example, I could, unsurprisingly, see the walls, windows, stairs etc. in the IFC model but I couldn't see the "lines" in the IFC model?! Why is that happening? Why cannot I see the lines in the IFC model?
Anonymous
Not applicable
AFAIK IFC does not support lines since buildings are not made of them. I don't think there is support for any 2D drawing/annotation elements.
Anonymous
Not applicable
All right..
Thank you very much, you really helped a lot.