Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof Surfacers

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using ArchiCAD 10 and need to know how to edit a 'roof surfacer' (change its size, create a circular hole through the middle of it).. Any ideas? Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
Thomas Holm
Booster
If it's implemented the ordinary way, it's coupled to its roof. That means it inherits the roof's shape, holes etc. If you edit the roof, the surfacer will follow.

Beside that, you can edit the surfacer's parameters that are available when you select it, but nothing more. For example, one caveat is that I haven't been able to edit where the standing seam surfacer starts (where the first seam is placed in relation to its roof or to a gable edge or whatever).
Still, a worthwhile tool.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
A tangent to this thread....

Has anyone noticed that roof surfaces start to "grow" past their boundaries? In plan, the surfacer matches the conjoined roof perfectly, but in 3d, not so much. Sometimes growing to over twice their plan size.

Started with surfacers generated in 11 (which all lose their link in 12) but then it started happening to native 12 surfacers as well.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Thomas Holm
Booster
vfrontiers wrote:
Has anyone noticed that roof surfaces start to "grow" past their boundaries?
Like sub-prime bonds? Nope, it must be US only 😉
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, thanks for the reply.

With regards to 'coupling' the surfacer to its roof, I cannot find a command that relates to this. Whenever I insert the surfacer (as an object..) it will not let me change the parameters in the object settings dialogue or give me the option to link it to any roof.

Furthermore, the parameters that come up in this box seem unrelated to the parameters of the actual object.. Strange. Please help!
Dwight
Newcomer
Select the roof you want to surface THEN activate the Roof Accessory.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Select the roof you want to surface THEN activate the Roof Accessory.

OOOOPS: You need to download this "Goodie" from the Graohisoft website - see the help menu.

It must be installed in the :Add-Ons" folder

More than a mere placed object......
Dwight Atkinson
Chazz
Enthusiast
Dwight wrote:
OOOOPS: You need to download this "Goodie" from the Graohisoft website - see the help menu.
The Goodie AND the blinkered philistine pig-ignorant library.

Why is this stuff not included in the box?
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
Slightly related here....

I cannot get the roof surfacer object to align at the ridge when using standing seam. The plans look right, but the 3d standing seam is offset from the other side of the roof. They should line up.

I noticed some control by adjusting the roof pivot line, but it is not predictable.
Karl Ottenstein
Duane Valencia gave the solution many years ago in the old escribe forums ... and repeats the tip in 2004 here - the roof pivot line is the key:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=21019#21019

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB