Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

!!!ArchiCAD 9 CRASHING!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
...All Archicad files, including the Archicad Template file still crash after +/- 2 minutes of opening. No other software applications are being affected on this station and all .pln files work seamlessly on all other stations in the firm. It is not a file or project issue ...
...our project libraries only contain .gsm, .jpg, .tif, etc. files, this is not the issue...
...there are no trends to the crash with regards to commands or loaded libraries used which may trigger the instances...
...our project libraries are accessed by everyone from a server location so they would be the same on all machines and I have uploaded the most current Archicad object library (Updated SE9) onto my specific machine and archicad reads from there...
2 hours with our IT guy cleaning out and running diagnostics on my machine has uncovered absolutely no glitches with my hardware or memory. Archicad has been reinstalled and everything updated thru Graphisoft. Current WIBU drivers installed...
...the machine is a Dell Dimension 9100 w/ Windows XP Service Pack 3, 2.80GHz, 4 Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6800 Video Card (has anyone found a driver update for this card)???...
...any suggestions to causes would be appreciated as i have exhausted my resources...
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Pretty weird if it won't even open the template off the local machine, which means it is not likely related to networking. Never seen anything like this.

Do you have other versions of AC on this machine? If not, then try uninstalling yet again. Once you've uninstalled, go clean up all of the lint left behind.
In c:\documents and settings\username\Applications Data and Local Data or something like that, delete any GS/AC related folders.
In regedit, go to HKLM and I believe it is Software, Graphisoft and delete that. (I'm on a Mac right now, so can't check the paths for all of this.)
Reinstall yet again. Don't run it yet. Install the last AC 9 hotfix.
Now try?

If it locks up again, it could be graphics card related as you suspect, but doubtful.

Can't remember if AC creates a crashlog in the App Data folder... might give some clue to what is happening. Again, not on my windows machine right now to check...

Are the other machines at your office upgraded to SP3 also? (I thought SP3 was still a beta download.)

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
...no other versions of archicad. i uninstalled last week before we typed at each other and cleaned out all of the "lint" at that time, as you recommend. i mis-spoke re: the service pack (i am on 2, not 3). i quickly looked at my updates over the last month and saw the "Microsoft Office, Service pack 3" as i was typing the last message. Had i scrolled down further i would have seen "Windows" is still on SP 2. AS FAR AS THE FIX, thru my own experimentation, and a very obscure mention I read on another thread, it seems to have come down to a QuickTime 7.4.1.14 and NvidiaGeForce 6800 Card Driver Issue (update is Forceware v169.21WHQL). Unloading and reinstalling with the current drivers seems to have me back in the game. Only been up for a couple of days so i will update this thread if the situation evolves...
Karl Ottenstein
Glad you got things working, and that you posted your methods here for others to see. I'm sure you're not the only one running a very old version and encountering such conflicts.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB