Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Need help with Roof Plan

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am working on a building with multiple units. Each unit has roof planes that interset eachother. I do not know how to make it look correct on the roof plan because roof coverfills and display order are not user friendly. There must be a simple way to do this without going in and placing individual coverfills where lines should not show? I have played with the different settings in the roof tool (projected, outlines only) they don't seam to help.
8 REPLIES 8
Thomas Holm
Booster
Read the Help file on the Trim and Trim to Roof commands
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
The roofs are trimed correctly, I am having trouble with overhangs that should not being showing through the roofs above.
Djordje
Ace
Can you post a screen shot? Then it will be clearer.

Generally, the higher roofs should have a cover fill with opaque background. And they should NOT all be at the same storey - lower have their own, higher have their own. Then you can play around ...

Don't forget the plan cutplanes and other candy for guzzling downers 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know how to take screenshots in enemy territory(PC Land) but I am going to just use fills to cover what I don't want for now. This project is tricky because there are many overlapping roofs that are only a matter of inches above each other. Therefore they are all on the same story
Anonymous
Not applicable
eastcoast413 wrote:
I don't know how to take screenshots in enemy territory(PC Land) ...
Hit the PrntScrn button, then paste into an image editor.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
eastcoast413:

For what it is worth, I have generally been able to get the roofs to display correctly using cover fills and the display order. If you can, set the uppermost roof to the top of the display order, the lowest to the bottom, then select individual roofs and use the keyboard shortcuts to move up and down in the display order, which, if I remember correctly, has 13 places in the stack. The only time I have to resort to 2D fixes is when one roof starts above another, but then passes it by and part of it ends up under the second roof.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
eastcoast413:

For what it is worth, I have generally been able to get the roofs to display correctly using cover fills and the display order. If you can, set the uppermost roof to the top of the display order, the lowest to the bottom, then select individual roofs and use the keyboard shortcuts to move up and down in the display order, which, if I remember correctly, has 13 places in the stack. The only time I have to resort to 2D fixes is when one roof starts above another, but then passes it by and part of it ends up under the second roof.

HTH

David

Yes that is what is happening in all of the roofs, 2D Cover fills have worked to fix it. Also I have been having trouble with the display order. Sometimes where I choose bring to front for an element it always works no matter how many of the other elements below have been brought to front in the history of mt work day. Though Sometimes bring to front just does not work???
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
eastcoast413 wrote:
I don't know how to take screenshots in enemy territory(PC Land) ...
Hit the PrntScrn button, then paste into an image editor.
-thanks, good to know