Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Customizable Context Menu

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've switched from AC9 to AC12 and they've moved all the Drag/ Drag a Copy/ Mirror/ etc. under the 'Move' heading. This is awful for me, as I'm a heavy 'Right Click and Pick' user. Now it takes two steps to do these basic commands and it's really bumming me out. My fix (for now) was to reprogram the letter 'C' to initiate 'Drag a Copy', which is the one I use most from the context menu; closely followed by 'Rotate a copy' and 'Mirror a Copy'. I want it back like it was in AC9.

So..... What I'd like is for them to make it so we can customize the context menu AND get all those entity modification commands out from under the 'Move' heading. I know, I know... "You should use hotkeys". Sorry.. I've been doing this for 20 yrs. I shouldn't have to change my habits that drasticaly. Particularly when EVERY OTHER menu can be customized. Why not this one??

/end rant/
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
I believe it is possible to edit the context menu but not advisable as it can be quite messy.
It has been mentioned somewhere here in the forum so a search should come up with the method. (I just can't find it at the moment).

I too wish that it wasn't two levels into the right click - it's amazing how annoying one extra mouse click can get.
But I can understand why as that one group has 11 commands in it.
How long would the context menu be if all single commands.
A customizable context menu would be appreciated.

However having said that I have become quite accustomed to using the pet palette to drag, rotate, etc. with the CTRL key for a copy and CTRL-ALT for multiple copies.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Here's one of the old discussions on the topic.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=4553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
__archiben
Booster
Barry wrote:
I believe it is possible to edit the context menu but not advisable as it can be quite messy.
absolutely. i have customised my whole work environment to the point where it is unrecognisable from graphisoft's default. but i took one look at the context menu work environment and turned tail! i really wouldn't touch it. really.
I have become quite accustomed to using the pet palette to drag, rotate, etc. with the CTRL key for a copy and CTRL-ALT for multiple copies.
exactly! train yourself to use keyboard shortcuts and the modifiers noted above and you will find yourself even quicker again then your original context commands! you may even surprise yourself just how quickly your brain will adjust . . .

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry & Ben,

That's right! I fogot about the pet menu / Ctrl key trick. That'll help me out a lot.

Ben... I'm an old dog, but I'll do my best to learn a new trick. You're right... I'm sure my neurons will be rewired before I know it.

Thanks to you both... This was really helpful.