BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

3D Cutting planes - zooming & snapping

Paul King
Advisor
I would like to see the archaic cutting planes interface brought up to speed, so that user can zoom in part way through placement to ensure that cut plane will include & exclude desired elements

On anything larger than a house, scale of model in interface window is currently a significant problem, and requires many time consuming trial & error attempts to get right.

Ability to snap to elements & define offset for cutting plane would also be useful

Ability to save cutting plane with saved view is also of critical importance on large projects, especially when defining cut planes is so arduous & time consuming due to trial & error involved, as noted above. Often the same cutaway view is required at dfferent times in project's development, and reproducing exact same view is currently impossible

Finally, I would much rather define cutting planes in the 3D window & in plan. In 3D OpenGL window they could appear as translucent planes, with everything forward of cut being ghosted. Such functionality would be very useful as a live visualisation & model geometry trouble shooting tool as well,

Use of current Special Menu "use section lines in 3D " is not an adequate substitute - because cut elements cannot be assigned a single colour, and because non vertical sections are not supported.
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
21 REPLIES 21
Karl Ottenstein
There is an existing wish from 2005 for this. (Actually, there are several - but other wishes incude this as one of many wishes.)

I agree 100% - but we really need to not split votes across multiple wishes.

See:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=45455

Cheers,
Karl

PS AFAIK, when a moderator merges one wish thread into another, the votes will not go along with it.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
R Muller
Enthusiast
I can't imagine anybody voting for a 4-year-old wish.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
Eduardo Rolon
Well, if you vote for something old it will bring it to the present and maybe shame GS in doing something about it.

If you have to choose to do one of 2 things which will you choose?

1. the one that you have not finished/fixed for the last 4 years
or
2. the brand new one that only 2 people have voted for…

just an opinion.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

R Muller
Enthusiast
See new post

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=139944#139944

This still hasn't been fixed.
R Muller
R Muller
Enthusiast
OK, I just went and voted for the old one.
R Muller
Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Well, if you vote for something old it will bring it to the present ....
Only if you vote AND reply. It's the reply that brings it to the top.
Dwight
Newcomer
There's a good reason this a moribund wish, since it has been granted, in a way. I haven't used the cutting planes except as a practical joke for a long time. [That is where you make a guy's project disappear during his smoke break by creating and activating a cutting plane aimed away from the building. Haha. Who would think that, eh ???? Almost as good a joke as silicone spray on the jerk's oak desk chair or a raw pork chop left in that stinky smoker's filing cabinet on Friday night]

Current tools do this task nicely:

-- Make a Special Wireframe Layer : "3D Cutter"
-- Make a slab in that layer larger than your structure.

-- SEO the model using upward or downward extrusions to slice away what you don't want.

-- make the slab edges white so they don't print if they were to appear in the view.

-- It is dynamic in the 3D window so yank it where you want OR set the parameters in the Slab dialog.

Viola. No more cutting planes.

Or "Use Section Tool in 3D"" from the Special Menu. Upper and lower altitude constraints constrain the cut.....
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
Well, since there were replies in the new thread/poll, I merged it with this one so that voting/content will not get split. So - anyone who had voted in the other poll- if you see voting buttons above, please vote again. (It means that you never voted in this original poll.)

Hi Dwight: I disagree. The 3D Cutting Planes dialog is more powerful than a mere cutting slab. An arbitrary number of slabs and roofs is more powerful then 3D Cutting Planes, but much more work....and more important, the results are not memorized with views, unless you want to get really crazy with layers.

One can have many arbitrarily angled cut planes in a variety of orientations and all of these planes - as well as the marquee - are memorized with a 3D view. This view-association is essential to being able to trim down to just the essential part of a model for creating a 3D Document detail ... and all of the historic uses.

As people have said over the years - snapping, zooming, a resizeable dialog - all are long-needed features for an interface that has not changed in more than 10 years.

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rocorona
Booster
s2art wrote:

Only if you vote AND reply. It's the reply that brings it to the top.

or NOT vote and reply...
Karl wrote:
As people have said over the years - snapping, zooming, a resizeable dialog - all are long-needed features for an interface that has not changed in more than 10 years.

The dialog is resizable (from some versions back). But I remember in the past the diagrams were in some way zoomable, as they were based on the last 3D windows content. Now, if I'm correct, they show always the whole project.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
rocorona wrote:
The dialog is resizable (from some versions back).
Thanks, Roberto! I never noticed that it became resizable...just assumed it was as it always was.

Karl
Learn and get certified!