Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Commercial projects from residential

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've done some searches but couldn't find anything on this.

I'm currently doing all residential additions and renovations and want to get into commercial. I have commercial experience prior on autocad about 5 years ago. I'm just wondering about how ArchiCad works with the industry in the commercial world.

Has any one made this jump recently ?

Are there any potential issues to think about in advance ?

Any huge conflicts with consultants ? Did you have to redo a template file to have more commercial layering system ?

Do I need autocad in the office just to work with consultants ? (seems redundant but I'm just asking)

Is it not as different as I might think ?

I'm planning on submitting for some RFP's to get the projects, and I want to prep the office in advance as much as I can. I was thinking of redoing a new template for the commercial projects, new layers, maybe some new favorites with commercial windows and doors.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tan,

I'm a sole proprietor doing about 90% small commercial, 10% residential. I've been at this balance since I opened my own office 6 years ago.

My observations:

Most contractors I work with are happy to get electronic drawings in .pdf. Most don't use .dwg/.dxf.
The ability to explain a complex condition in a 3D drawing makes communication easier, which improves project outcomes.
The commercial side needs many more layers. My layering system is based on the National Cad Standards. I have nearly 200, but I really need to prune the list.
I use storefront systems a lot. The new curtain wall system in 12 doesn't work all that well for storefront, so I'm tied to using the AC 11 migration library for the storefront doors and windows.
I have AutoCad LT to double check export files before I send them to consultants. I haven't had any real problems with consultants.

It's not really that different, (except there's no marriage counseling). Best of luck.
John Dunham
Participant
"Peter Van Erp" wrote:
Tan,

I have AutoCad LT to double check export files before I send them to consultants. I haven't had any real problems with consultants.

You can also use 'eDrawings' - which is free - to check your DXF/DWG export files instead of AutoCad LT.
John

OS X 10.15.7
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
John wrote:

You can also use 'eDrawings' - which is free - to check your DXF/DWG export files instead of AutoCad LT.
What's wrong with checking them in ArchiCAD?

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
What's wrong with checking them in ArchiCAD?
you'd never see what it stuffed up this time you've exported . . .
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Peter wrote:
I use storefront systems a lot. The new curtain wall system in 12 doesn't work all that well for storefront, so I'm tied to using the AC 11 migration library for the storefront doors and windows.
Peter,
Would you mind sharing your experiences about AC12 Curtain Walls for storefronts? I am sure Graphisoft would be much interested in hearing it. AC12 just came out so I guess this is a good time to give fast feedback so they can consider them for future version, and who know, they may enhance the Curtain Wall Tool in the future.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
AutoCAD offers the free DWG TrueView program (Windows) that lets you see what your exported dwgs look like as well. It has layer control, etc.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=6703438%26siteID=123112

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the input. Can you tell me what that National Cad Standard is or where to see that ?

How do you use ArchiCad 11 migration library, or what does that mean ? Is that a setting I have to do in 12 or what is that ?

I'm looking forward to less marriage counseling !
matthewjj
Newcomer
eDrawings is fantastic! We use it at our office all the time. It is great when you need to quickly open up multiple dwgs for viewing purposes. Otherwise opening up a half-dozen dwgs in archicad will open up a half-dozen instances of archicad and t h a t c a n t a k e a w h i l e. There is even an eDrawings Pro version that has markup tools, measurement tools, and a few other useful features. Free version works for me though.

http://www.solidworks.com/pages/products/edrawings/eDrawings.html
matt johnson
archicad since 2004
imac 27, 4.2 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, radeon 575 4 GB, macOS 10.14.6
imac, 4.0ghz i7, 16gb ram, Radeon M9 390 2GB, OS X El Capitan
Karl Ottenstein
Matt,

Thanks for the link to eDrawings, which has a free Mac viewer. Nice to not have to fire up Parallels/XP for a quick dwg check. Even though I pointed eDrawings to the same SHX font file folder that DWG TrueView uses, text appeared slightly different in each program...nothing major though. Scroll wheel zooms the opposite of most othe software.

Steve,

The dwg capability of Acrobat is limited to Windows, as I recall. Just a heads up for others, since I banged my head trying to figure out why it worked for Steve and not me earlier this summer. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB