Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

ROTATING 3D OBJECTS IN THE "Z" DIRECTION

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

Can anyone come up with a command that enables users to
rotate 3d objects in Sections or Elevations. I am aware of archirotate,
but this does not fully satisfy our needs as you first have to convert the
object to archirotate, and then execute the command. The command is not available in section / elevation mode. Just like drag and elevate commands are available in sect/elev mode why can't we have rotate as
well!!???

Regards,

Alick Nyangulu.
5 REPLIES 5
Chazz
Enthusiast
Nope. The work-a-round is to use GSM objects (from the standard lib or more likely, of your own making) and place them in the desired orientation in plan. I know that as a new user this will sound like a terrific shortcoming but the truth (at least for this old timer) is that, in typical practice it is not much of a limitation. It is preferred to do heavy spacial editing in the 3d window rather than section/elevation. Note that in the 3d window you can use the multiply and distribute commands. I've often thought it odd that drag-a-copy, etc was not enabled.

The inability to rotate ANY gsm object without resorting to a 3rd party add-on or hand modifying the code is a much more embarrassing omission IMHO.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
alickn wrote:
Can anyone come up with a command that enables users to
rotate 3d objects in Sections or Elevations. I am aware of archirotate,
but this does not fully satisfy our needs as you first have to convert the
object to archirotate, and then execute the command. The command is not available in section / elevation mode. Just like drag and elevate commands are available in sect/elev mode why can't we have rotate as
well!!???
Have you looked at OBJECTiVE? It can rotate or cut any 3D GDL object in one command, and will rotate in section/elevation windows too. For more info, take a look at: http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
Ralph Wessel BArch
Chazz
Enthusiast
I use OBJECTiVE to do my object rotating (and much, much more!) It's a wonderful add-on and is made all the more wonderful by Ralph's great support. Highly recomended.

Still, I never realized you could use it to rotate objects in Section/Elevation. I doubt I'd need to do such a thing very often but it's nice to know I could.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Karl Ottenstein
There is also the ArchiRotate plug-in from Cigraph:

http://www.cigraph.it/cigraph/pagetrans.do?lang=en&action=current_product&prodotti_id=26

which was originally free, but I see that they are now charging 60 euro for it, which is ridiculous IMHO. Objective provides tremendously more value for incrementally more cost.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chazz wrote:
Still, I never realized you could use it to rotate objects in Section/Elevation. I doubt I'd need to do such a thing very often but it's nice to know I could.
Use it all the time to rotate roof beams/rafters into to the correct slope and Split (cut) them to my hearts desire!