BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modelling Challenge

Bruce
Expert
I've been presented with a modelling challenge for our latest project, which involves precast panels with multiple facets.

The pattern is a textile, with 600x1200 panels at 10mm, 50mm, 75mm & 100mm (see the image for what I mean).

I'm trying to figure out the best way to model it without going crazy & maintaining an editable model.

Currently we have placed all the panels as individual walls:
Pros - Simple to do, merges in plan with backing wall: Cons - time consuming, too many little elements to edit & place

I've researched making a custom GDL object:
Pros - fast, consistent, only a few objects: Cons - not as much control over plan pens v elevation pens, doesn't merge in plan with backing wall.

I've also tried a Displacement map texture - but that didn't work.

Any bright ideas?

Panel 2.jpg
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
14 REPLIES 14
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Bruce wrote:
I've been presented with a modelling challenge for our latest project, which involves precast panels with multiple facets.
I saw Bite (http://www.bite.co.uk/) demonstrate a GDL object at an ArchiCAD University Summer School. It was produced for their UAS members I think. It allowed any number of panels to be overlaid on a wall exactly as your describe - might be worth dropping them a line to see if this is available.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Necko, can you make a repetitive 3d pattern along the wall in Archiwall?
As far as I know its only for non-pattern walls.
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment wrote:
Necko, can you make a repetitive 3d pattern along the wall in Archiwall?
As far as I know its only for non-pattern walls.
this option works like :

u create paralel section with wall (this option is limited to not curved or poligonal wall)

Draw fill in section, u can draw anything u want . . .
select wall and fill and u your shape will become a wall
u can download demo version on cigraph page
its limited, u will download manual where u can see all possibilites

it still not modeling but this can help u in many situations . . .
rocorona
Booster
As I wrote the original (Italian) manual for ArchiWall, although I don't use it, I can try to answer your question.
I don't think the "3D Colour" function is the best solution for this problem. But the "Block wall" can be.
Maybe it is a bit tricky, as here you can only use a single library block to cover the whole surface of the wall, but you can easily create an object (using some slab) with the repetitive tiles (6?).
The user manual of ArchiWall also includes a description on how create simple GDL objects for this purpose.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
Thank you, Roberto!
I think I'll stick to modelling and skip the GDL part! 😉
Learn and get certified!