BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Brand Spanking New GDL Book

Cadimage Tools scripting wizards have written a big book on GDL - to be published shortly.

http://blog.cadimagetools.com/
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
106 REPLIES 106
Erich
Contributor
Erika,

Is this a general question to evaluate a purchase or do you have the book already and are curious about others thoughts?

Right now, I have read and worked through about half the book and have skimmed the rest prior to reading it through carefully. I would think that very beginning users would be somewhat baffled by the book as there are a number of assumptions of basic knowledge made through out. I suspect that such users would want another reference in hand at the same time they read the book or work through the excercises.

For those users with some knowledge, I think the book is a great resource. I know it has answered a number of questions I have had to date that no other resource has addressed. While none of these questions have been crucial, all of the answers have served to deepen my GDL knowledge and ability (spoken as someone with intermediate to early advanced abilities). I look forward to going through the next half, some of which appears to touch on subjects I have not worked through on my own to date.

I would be curious to hear other's thoughts.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Only got my copy a few days ago.
Well I belong on the NEW to gdl bench,
right next to group W.
Having only followed the directions to build the
basic chair from the cookbook, I feel that if I take my time (really, about a yr or so of part time), I can learn a lot from this book.
This would be a major directional change for me.
I'm a residential designer/builder (not a programmer) and with only limited algebra/trig, so my base line is limited.

I think the cover is fair in implying that this is for more advanced concepts?

So my minor wish would be for a simpler start section with something that is related to a structure, not playground, even though of course it is meant to teach concepts for latter use.
For me the playground object is more complicated and less interesting to me, so I find it hard to relate to.
Like for instance; I like using AC's CP to make my own walls, "objects"
etc, but it can't round out the beginning and ending square edges as far as I can tell. So teaching how to modify current AC limitations, section of the handbook would have been nice. Maybe I just haven't got there yet?
Anyway, looks like a great resource for gdl programmers right off the bat.
Seems like a great text book, but we are just too small of a community to get the local JC to have a class on gdl.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Would some 'tutorial exercise' type resources be useful? I could create some downloadable 'pdf's on a range of topics if people would find that helpful.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i agree with Erich
The book is great, i've skimmed through a lot of it and it has helped to answer some questions that i've had trouble with for a while.

It's pretty difficult to write a book that covers ALL bases.
i think if you are completely new to GDL you might first be best to work through the introduction to GDL book (the pdf shipped with AC9).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Finished understanding to end of page 12 and now have a screen
with my new object named, in a directory of a loaded library I had already
for my current project that has the subtype as shown in lower right corner of page 12. Great so far. But, Ok now I'm expecting to continue on with the that screen, but page 13 jumps to barrel object. Felt a little disjointed here.
Like I was a missing page in my book.
Ok, now I'm back on tract on page 14 and especially like the explanation of "Formatting the Parameters List".
Now I'm up to middle of page 16, Subtypes, Parameters and Temp Objs.
Now it goes back to talking about the slide object again and it's subtypes.
But forging ahead and get a new subtype (I called myfirstsubtype) as explained in the 5 steps at the bottom of page 16. I'm learning. I like it.
Now will start with page 17 and try real hard to do the proverbial head wrap thing for a while before I get back here again.
Andrew, hope that helps, or maybe it's just me.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Update.
I get how to create the new subtype from previous examples however;
When I select Subtype "Site Improvement" as shown on page 17 (1.)
I don't get the LIST as shown in the dialog box on lower right of page 17.
What I get is shown in my attached image no matter what combination of choices under site improvement (or Play Equip) or site improvement itself I highlight and choose.
I'm on 12 full, so don't understand what I'm missing.
Also;(related?)
In item (2.) of 5 on page 17; "Add parameters to the object as illustrated". What "illustration" or words(?) is that referring to?
thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
lec, it looks like you've done everything correctly - did you click on the Select button?

Now you just need to add the extra parameters shown in the illustration.

Admittedly you may need a magnifying glass to see them! However all of the examples etc. are available as a downloadable LCF file, so you don't need to work through them all manually, just so as to get the idea.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Andrew
Thanks for the reply.
This is more feedback than one could expect from a new technical manual! Very generous of you.

Yes I was clicking the "Select" button for each varied attempt.
The reason I did not think it was the "illustration" (as you have now clarified) was for two reasons:

1. I could not be sure of specific words/notations in the "illustration", (maybe the book came back from publisher with the small type a little less readable than your original manuscript?)

2. In the "illustration" the scroll bar to that dialog implies (but maybe there isn't) more below than what is shown, so my faulty logic told me that can't be what I was being asked to copy. Hence me passing it over.
Glad you were thoughtful to include handout.
I will now explore that.

I'm sure others with more experience, may just pass right on over my "wheel in the ditch" hang up.
ps
Also I finally now realize I could have gone to handout, (which I did know about from previous posting here) and tried that out. my bad.
"Back on the road again"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Lec,
You're welcome to any help you need. There's nothing faulty about your logic, the illustration could definitely have been better.
Despite one or two hang-ups, though, I'm impressed by how far you've got in such a short time.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Andrew
Thanks for the kind words.
Got the pc zip file from web site with no problems.
Unzipped and loaded the .lcf into a test project I'm using.
Browsed to my Handbook dir and went to Chapt 2 folder;
All ok so far, except there is no page 17 listed in Chpt 2.

I looked in some of the other chapters but did not see it.
See attached screen shot of what I get.
No Page 17.png
Learn and get certified!