BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

objects in ac10 and sketchup

Anonymous
Not applicable
im having trouble being able to use objects from the object library in AC10...not only can i not bring in any file type from SketchUp but any object not in the "ArchiCAD Object Library" shows up greyed in the library manager, even after loaded. i cannot use anything from my "other objects" folder. so far ive been very unimpressed with how you have to know gdl to create your own objects in archicad...its been a pain to find ways to get around this...sketchup definitely does NOT go to ac10 well at all...i am unable to do anything overly architectural without either extensive training and knowledge of ac10 or some other program...not to mention the fact that i am the only archicad user in my entire college to my knowledge and there is no way i can afford to get any type of training. anyways...off my soap box...can anyone help me out here? im trying to use sketchup to do some arched trellising and some other architectural detailing and then export it to a format for ac10.
4 REPLIES 4
Dwight
Newcomer
Let me tell you that all is not lost.

While sophisticated parametric objects must be created with cryptic (but logical) Geometric Descriptor Language, Archicad can also interpret modeled elements as library parts.

You can build your elements, like trelisses, say, as slabs and save a side view as an object where the element will stand upright as a library object when placed in the plan view.

No coding at all.

OMWAC: If you have difficult conceiving or achieving this, Object Making with Archicad is the book you want, and I believe it is included with Archicad, now.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok thats getting me on the right track....however i still cant quite figure it out for my specific situation. heres the object im trying to create in elevation view
Dwight
Newcomer
is it flat?
How thick?

Make a slab or set of walls in the plan view as deep as necessary in the shape you require.

Make a 3D view - a parallel elevation projection from 90 degrees.
It is like turning the flat thing up on its edge.

See 3D projection settings to set this up.

With the 3D view looking like the top view of the element as you'd place it in the plan,

Go to:
Libraries and Objects> Save 3D Model As: Archicad Object File.

Save to a folder that you include in your Archicad library.
For the first one, you'll want to create a new folder and include it in your library load using Library Manager. (This can be confusing since the Archicad 10 library - the default load - is in a format that prevents additions. See library manager dialog - a new folder is needed)

There's lts of thinigs you can do to tilt and further modulate this object, but they all require GDL.

I would also mention the Cigraph add-on ArchiForma as a way to make objects that are inherantly tilting and editable.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
I attach an illustration of this process. It should be used when you are making objects that are discrete and used a lot - say, if you might need to count them....

However, if you are merely using this shape once or twice, I suggest investigating the Custom Profile wall method, instead.
Dwight Atkinson
Learn and get certified!