BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Published plans will not show trace reference

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to have the trace reference show on a published plan. How do I accomplish this? In my layout book, I can see the trace reference, and it also shows up when I view the pdf file in the publisher set. However, when I publish to pdf, and I open the PDF file in Acrobat, the trace reference is not there. I'm sure I'm missing a setting somewhere.

Here's a pic of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the help.

With Trace Ref.jpg
11 REPLIES 11
Stress Co_
Advisor
On a Mac. It's an option in the Print Dialog window.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks .... I found it in the Document Options for the PDF format in the Organizer.
Print reference.jpg
PatriciaLe_o
Participant
When I print directly from the model (from a plan for example) it's fine. But I just can't do it through publisher set. There's an option on Print Options, but it's not selectable as shown in picture.
I guess Trace is not something you can save on a View...
Unfortunately I guess the only way is to put both views on a Layout if I want them to be shown together... Any ideas?
displayreference.jpg
Patricia Leão

AC21 INT Full
MacOSHighSierra
Djordje
Ace
Yes, that is the only way for now. With smart pen table usage, it can be much better than "just" Trace
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
aahatimo
Newcomer
i have been searching to see if it is possible, yet (v12, 13 or 14) to show trace reference on a plan sent to layout? i would like to use it for a lighting plan with a restaurant seating, bar, and kitchen layouts shown in light background image. very similar to 1st image shown in topic.
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Karl Ottenstein
Just stack two views on the layout, as Djordje said. Potentially use a different pen set for each. There are many cases where stacking two or more views is the only way to obtain the final drawing that you want, so I don't really consider this a workaround, but just a standard technique.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
aahatimo
Newcomer
karl,
i appreciate the speedy reply.
i do not understand why we can only print, not publish / layout, trace reference. this appears to be another 'half baked' tool, 2 3/4 years later. has this been a 'wish list' item?
thanks!
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Karl Ottenstein
aahatimo wrote:
has this been a 'wish list' item?
Might be, but not that I recall. But, I remember others wanting it.

Personally, stacking drawings gives more control than printing a trace reference could ever give since you have full pen set control.

I'm not sure what the big deal is for as often as it is necessary: it takes 5 seconds to drag another view onto a layout sheet and snap the two views together. Further, it is completely documented: the drawing list for the sheet tells you what is displayed.

If including the trace reference with the view on the layout were possible, you'd also want some way of seeing what the name of the trace view is to be sure that you're not accidentally omitting or including some elements I would think... And, of course, plan Views would have to be modified to save a specified Trace...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
I'm not sure what the big deal is for as often as it is necessary: it takes 5 seconds to drag another view onto a layout sheet and snap the two views together. Further, it is completely documented: the drawing list for the sheet tells you what is displayed.
I agree completely. It is such a tiny extra effort to place an overlaid drawing compared to using a trace/reference and is so much more versatile and reliable. Not only do I find it unnecessary I think it would be undesirable.
Learn and get certified!