Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Need help with custom wall profile

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have created a custom wall profile for my exterior walls. It has plates at the top and bottom and I would like to place my "vertical stretch lines" between those plates so I can adjust my wall height while leaving my plate dimensions constant. But I am having trouble utilizing the vertical stretch lines - they don't seem to appear when I check that box in the Profile Manager. I have done several Select-All lines, and only the Opening Reference lines appear - the horizontal and vertical stretch lines are nowhere to be seen. Could I have erased them? I didn't think that was an option.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there if you deleted the stretch lines they should reappear when you tick the little black square next to each option. Also check if you did not accidently clicked on the little eye next to each option which would then hide the stretch lines.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply - I did check on that stuff, and eyes are on, and had checked and unchecked the boxes a million times. Looks like some sort of weird glitch with this file. Not having this issue in other projects.

Add it to the list of glitches I seem to attract.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Kate:

Selecting the Line Tool and then Select All Lines should select them. Two shots in the dark:
1. After the Select All Lines command have you tried Fit In Window to see if they are off screen?
2. If you see selection dots for the lines, you might check the Info Box to make sure they have not been set to a white pen.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Karl Ottenstein
For what its worth, I've had countless problems with the profile editor in 12 - probably 20% of the time I'm there - but none of the problems are reproducible. I've had the checkboxes for the stretch lines become locked - clicking them does nothing. I've had the stretch lines not appear, even when checked and visible. I've had times when I could not drag the stretch lines - they somehow became locked. Right-clicking and unlocking their layer resolves that one at least.

Closing AC (saving the file) and restarting usually helps with the invisible stretch line problem and the 'locked' checkboxes.

Seems to only happen when I'm working with profiles that were started in 10 or 11. With a fresh 12 file, I've not had problems.

I'd love to find a way to reproduce the problem - which it sounds like includes the issue here - so that GS can track it down....

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the suggestions. It seems like this issue stems from the fact that the project was started in version 10, then moved to V11 and now it's in V12. I re-openned the file today and that profile is working fine - vertical stretch lines finally appeared. However, any new profiles I made today do not have the stretch lines. Frustrating.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I Really like Complex Profiles walls, but another weird thing that has been happening in C.P., in 12 and not 11, for me is that windows closer than about 5ft to inside corners,(with the same C.P. wall) cause the inside wall line to go away, (in plan), both on screen and printing.
Is this a bug, or am I the only one getting this weird behavior?

Bier
Wierd lines 1.png
Karl Ottenstein
kate_talbott wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. It seems like this issue stems from the fact that the project was started in version 10, then moved to V11 and now it's in V12. I re-openned the file today and that profile is working fine - vertical stretch lines finally appeared. However, any new profiles I made today do not have the stretch lines. Frustrating.
Hi Kate and others with disappearing stretch and opening lines,

I finally had enough time to create a file that reproduces this problems 100% of the time and have sent it to GS for analysis.

In the process, I found a workaround: the stretch lines only disappear for me (under certain conditions - changing layer combos) if the Navigator Preview is visible. (ArchiCAD then has to be closed and restarted to get them back.)

Do you (like me) have the Nav Preview window visible in your Work Environment under normal conditions? If so, try closing it and see if the stretch line problem goes away for you...

Hope that helps,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
kate_talbott wrote:
Hi Kate and others with disappearing stretch and opening lines,

I finally had enough time to create a file that reproduces this problem 100% of the time and have sent it to GS for analysis.

In the process, I found a workaround: the stretch lines only disappear for me (under certain conditions - changing layer combos) if the Navigator Preview is visible. (ArchiCAD then has to be closed and restarted to get them back.)

Do you (like me) have the Nav Preview window visible in your Work Environment under normal conditions? If so, try closing it and see if the stretch line problem goes away for you...

Hope that helps,
Karl
Karl Ottenstein
Bier wrote:
I Really like Complex Profiles walls, but another weird thing that has been happening in C.P., in 12 and not 11, for me is that windows closer than about 5ft to inside corners,(with the same C.P. wall) cause the inside wall line to go away, (in plan), both on screen and printing.
Is this a bug, or am I the only one getting this weird behavior?

Bier
Are you using windows from the 11 library, or the 12 library? Only the 12 library windows/doors understand partial structure display ...so the issue may be related.

What is the exact name of the window library part that you are using in the screenshots?

Thanks,
Karl