BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

changing roof pitch

Anonymous
Not applicable
I hope this picture works.

I need to change my roof pitch mid-roof (mid-roof? does that make sense? mid-slope maybe? what ever works for you please insert here)

Instead of doing a video this time, I took a screen shot. I hope it works. if not the URL is there

thanks,

C

screencast.com/t/oGwQvVKj9q

4 REPLIES 4
Dwight
Newcomer
Make two roofs with different slopes.

I sure hope that there isn't a software somewhere than can do this with a mere keystroke or mouse gesture to further embarrass Graphisoft.
Dwight Atkinson
And the intersecting planes can be mitered, as well, giving a nice clean look. (Select both and click on intersecting edge. Pick angle option in Pet Palette). This is probably easier to edit in a 3D window.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Karl Ottenstein
Your picture attached here. Please try to attach screenshots. Jing can save to disk....
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Rather than using the pet palette edge angle option to join the roof edges in a multi-pitch scenario like yours (which is really the same as a shed dormer), use the "Intersect Roof Planes" feature. (The pet palette works for ridges - plumb cut - and other times when you know the angle for a clean joint. With a shed dormer, or pitch change as in your case, a clean intersection requires a peculiar angle. Let ArchiCAD do the math.)

Pull the upper roof edge upwards and the lower roof edge downwards to make them easiest to see and deal with while learning this.

Select the upper roof and then ctrl-click (cmd-click Mac)on the top edge of the lower roof.

Then select the lower roof (only) and ctrl-click (cmd-click Mac) on the lower edge of the upper roof.

Both roofs will meet in a clean intersection when viewed in 3D or section.

I usually prefer to do this in 3D, but same steps in 2D or 3D.

Karl

PS This is basic training - I do hope you sign up for the free 'Jump Start' class.
Picture 1.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!