Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Palettes folder/sheets in the project map anyone...?

March_ Bruce
Booster
I keep wondering if under the project map I might use a new category of reference document - an extension of the template/favourites/MSA detailer notions that might allow custom palettes of preset objects, lines, etc - the benefit being user control, direct access to all tool options but with filtering so that, for example light object would not calculate in schedules but might become both a working option-click selector for various types of work...

As it is one may need a false story or other workaround & such may still show up in 3d or schedules...

Thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3
Thomas Holm
Booster
Did you do a search for Favorites?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Karl Ottenstein
You can create whatever palettes, folders, etc that you want in the View Map. If the elements in the 'palette' (which might be hotlinked from elsewhere) are not to appear in schedules, then just assign all of them a special ID prefix/suffix/etc so that you can filter them out.

(The Project Map is for view points, which are quite different.)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
March_ Bruce
Booster
The current favourites system seems rather inefficient & isn't graphically oriented requiring massive exports & imports to adjust. Using special prefix/suffix etc seems yet again a workaround & isn't graphically oriented for creating theme templates within a project. Detail sheets don't allow (for example) light object sets for 3d & having one with all my favourite settings might be helpful - either in each project file or referenced via a master core office template.

Managing libraries & templates with the many little 'tricks' required seems a 4d chess game & while I can assume both of you are power users what I might suggest seems a direct & obvious solution with less 'codifying' required allowing easier & less risky staffing up - there is still the issue of materials & other attribute management ie as an attribute library evolves one must be so careful not to drag in a prior item that totally screws up the sequential numeric materials referencing or adds additional layers that then 'make work'...

ArchiCAD has in my opinion a heck of a lot of mind numbing & obfuscating fiddley management overhead that only deters productivity & I wonder if a 'purging' or migrating subset in the project map might possibly reduce this burden as well as improve flexibility...?