BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: what is the function of view map?

Anonymous
Not applicable
i am a very beginner of archicad, i've used microstation and autocad before.
i have been using archicad since september this year.

although i read the reference guide about project map and view map. but i still can not clarify with them.

is it the view map can save your design stage?
if not, what is the alternative to save your design stage?
u know, design is a development, but sometimes, u may need to look backward.
8 REPLIES 8
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
A view is a live 'look' at your model. A view has stored settings, like layer combinations, scale, etc. It's a transition between your model and the layout (paperspace). It has been discussed many times before and most recently here.

Try doing a search, using the (lower) Search function above.

Cheers,
Link.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
If you're familiar with AutoCAD, a "View" in ArchiCAD is comparable to a "Viewport" in AutoCAD.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Djordje
Ace
Laura wrote:
If you're familiar with AutoCAD, a "View" in ArchiCAD is comparable to a "Viewport" in AutoCAD.
Ummmm ... not really.

A viewpoint is just a plan, section, elevation, 3D view, whatever point in the virtual space that you are viewing your model from. It has no other paramaters or properties.

Views, however, are the viewpoints with properties - scale, model view options, dimension settings, layer combinations, etc. They are the drawings that you place on the layout - or, in AutoCAD speak, the viewports in the PaperSpace.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Djordje wrote:
Laura wrote:
Ummmm ... not really.

A viewpoint is just a plan, section, elevation, 3D view, whatever point in the virtual space that you are viewing your model from. It has no other paramaters or properties.

Views, however, are the viewpoints with properties - scale, model view options, dimension settings, layer combinations, etc. They are the drawings that you place on the layout - or, in AutoCAD speak, the viewports in the PaperSpace.
Djordje, Laura is comparing ArchiCAD's Views to AUTOCAD's ViewPORTs. She is not comparing ArchiCAD Views to ArchiCAD Viewpoints.

Of course I do not know if it is a good comparison because I am not that much familiar with AutoCAD.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
An AutoCAD Viewport is a window (i.e. Zooming) of model space (i.e. the Viewpoint) with set scale and layer settings (and a bunch of other settings totally unnecessary in AC).
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Well, then it sounds like it is similar to a View, just like you said.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erika Epstein
Booster
In archicad the work flow is
Model =>Drawing => Sheets of drawings =>Publishing

Viewpoint is the Point of View that you are looking at the Model

Views are the Drawings you create from the model by attaching scale, layer combination, MVO etc.

Layout book is comprised of Sheets on which are placed Views or in the case of schedules viewpoints

Publisher is the method you communicate your information to another e.g. prints, pdfs, dwgs, 3D models, renderings etc.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Djordje
Ace
Laura wrote:
An AutoCAD Viewport is a window (i.e. Zooming) of model space (i.e. the Viewpoint) with set scale and layer settings (and a bunch of other settings totally unnecessary in AC).
AAAARGH!

Sorry, Laura! You were right. And I in fact just elaborated.

Apologies for skim reading and a hasty answer!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!