BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Secondary Dimensioning bug in AC12

Anonymous
Not applicable
We reported a bug in AC12 last month to GS through our reseller. When you select more than one dimension lines and want to do a secondary dimension on the selected lines it only converts the first line selected. The workaraound suggested by GS was not to select any lines at all and the it will convert ALL the dimensions on the plan
Not ideal really, we were told that it would be sorted in the hotfix. Unfortunately it isn't sorted in THIS hotfix
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
While I suppose it would be interesting, I hope we don't have a post on every bug that was not fixed in the just-released hotfix. Clearly, there is no way that GS can have fixed every bug reported so far.

I sympathize, but am grateful that they released a hotfix with a considerable number of bug fixes rather than wait to fix even more.

Maybe the next hotfix...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rm
Expert
Karl,

I agree with you that every individual fix needn't be announced individually. However, a list of current bugs, and those corrected to date would be useful so users were aware of existing issues being reviewed by GS and would not bombard them with the same issues over and over.

In fairness, if GS states that the next "hotfix" is going to solve bugs "a, b, and c", and it does not, I think it is appropriate for the users to let GS know the issues still exist, be in this forum or otherwise. Obviously if GS notes they are working on a particular bug and it is not resolved, I am sure GS would want to know about it.

Wouldn't it be great if ALL software vendors would be willing to acknowledge problems with their tools openly, and lay out a timeline for fixing the problems; then deliver timely solutions to the problems. I bet we would all be more tolerant of bugs if this were the case.

Vendors that don't respond to known bugs openly, while they may actually be working toward a solution, appear to be ignoring the problems. This breeds discontent amongst its customers.
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Karl Ottenstein
rm wrote:
In fairness, if GS states that the next "hotfix" is going to solve bugs "a, b, and c", and it does not, I think it is appropriate for the users to let GS know the issues still exist, be in this forum or otherwise. Obviously if GS notes they are working on a particular bug and it is not resolved, I am sure GS would want to know about it.
You're right, Robert.

Still, these forums are not a substitute for the correct tech support channels. Some of us here report things from these forums back to GS, but they do not have time to monitor every thread. The proper channel is the reseller and local tech support.

(I don't think I've ever had assurance from GS HQ that a bug would be fixed in any particular hotfix.)

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

My post here wasn't intended as criticism of GS , I just wanted to let people know that not all bugs were sorted, especially after being told by our re-seller that they would be in the next hotfix. We are going through our re-seller to let GS know that this particular bug still exists, I wasn't using this forum to let them know, just to let the users know. I'm sorry if I came across wrong, that wasn't my intention.

As RM said not everyone knows about all the bugs that were sorted and which haven't.
There may well be a list of bugs somewhere but I haven't found it yet, it would be useful so that if people come across something strange they would know it was a bug and that it is being worked on
Karl Ottenstein
I understand, Paul, and of course see the usefulness of letting everyone know about open bugs. I'm still fighting with a bunch that are keeping me from getting my work done effectively. (I'm particularly waiting for news about a library update.)

But, your subject line "Bug not sorted in AC12 Hotfix" is not of much use to anyone - when there are potentially 100's of open bugs.

So, I would suggest:

(a) if there is already a thread that discusses a bug, post to that thread to note that it is still not fixed, or

(b) if there is no such thread, start a new one, being sure to give the subject line a concise description of the bug rather than a generic title. This will help everyone. 😉

Cheers,
Karl

PS and BTW, there are half dozen people, sometimes more, between your reseller and the bug-fixing decision. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in that chain "will be fixed in a hotfix" got repeated as "the next hotfix". I go through fewer layers, but have never been promised a delivery date for any bug fix, so what your reseller told you is unusual.

PPS If you edit your original post, you can change the subject of this thread. Or, if editing is locked for some reason, I can change it for you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok Karl, I take your point about the title of the thread, I could have named it better
Is it ok for me to re name it to Secondary Dimensioning bug in AC12?

edit** Heading Changed
Karl Ottenstein
PaulZ wrote:
Is it ok for me to re name it to Secondary Dimensioning bug in AC12?
Perfect. Thanks.

Karl
Learn and get certified!