BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to make curving walls n windows that also vary in height

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey,
I am currently working on a case study on the Wall House #2 (Bye House) by John Hejduk and I am having some real difficulty in attempting to make the windows and ceilings for some of the spaces he has designed. If you take a look at a picture it will probably help to see what i am talking about.

http://i-eclectica.org/wordpress/wp-content/my%20images/architecture/Hejduk/Wall%20House%202-5.jpg

Anyway what would be the best way to achieve these forms in archiCAD any help would be most apprecciated.

Thank you!
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
The walls are just curved walls. Top walls is just trimmed to the roof surface.

The windows, being true curves, have to be modeled with walls and/or custom objects. The top story is easy - just model the entire wall, sill and window as one complex profile, then add dividers.

Bottom story looks like a flat surface. Create a custom freeform window using slabs, including the curved sill.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
the g/f is still so difficult to be done,

can anyone achieve it and explain further more?
Erika Epstein
Booster
angus wrote:
the g/f is still so difficult to be done,
What is "g/f"?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
What is "g/f"?
Ground Floor, I expect!
angus wrote:
can anyone achieve it and explain further more?
You can draw a custom window of any shape on plan using slabs and walls, and define a separate slab as the actual wallhole that cuts the opening. Simply change the slabs ID to "wallhole" and save the whole lot as a window.

For full details do a search for 'wallhole'. It has been discussed many times before. It is also described in the ArchiCAD help file.
Press f1 and go to - 'Virtual Building : Parametric Objects : Graphic Creation of Custom Objects'

Hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes i mean ground floor

but after having a window opening, how can we place a window into it? use curtain wall???
Djordje
Ace
angus wrote:
yes i mean ground floor

but after having a window opening, how can we place a window into it? use curtain wall???
You can. Also, you can model the window with the wall tool.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!