Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Organic Modelling in ArchiCAD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been using Cinema 4D to enhance my rendering skills, and decided to explore 'unconventional' building forms at the same time.

My first observation was the inability to dimension or control the C4D model with the 'architectural' predictability that AC allows.

My second observation was the crippling effect the 3DS model has on AC once imported.

This prompted me to begin the following discussion:

Problem:
AC doesn't natively model organic forms

Solution:
Use Cinema 4D to create form and import to AC

Result:
C4D does not allow dimensioning or have a workflow that is easily understood by architects.

Option:
Solidworks 2009 : Able to add dimension tags AND model hardware (custom if necessary) that can be included in material take-offs schedules

Competition:
Vectorworks 2009 seems to include modelling abilities natively now... is this the default app for those working in organic forms?

Question:
What is the best solution for ArchiCAD users who need to model AND document 'unconventional' building forms?
18 REPLIES 18
Djordje
Ace
You missed "none of the above" so I will add it.

I use ArchiCAD 9 with GDL Toolbox ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Shivang Rajvir
Participant
I use ArchiCAD 10 with GDL.
ARCHICAD Lover

http://www.dimensionplus.in

Core i7 3.4 GHz, AC 9 to 22

MacBook Air Core i3 1.6 GHz - 8 Gb RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way that I can modify the poll to include ArchiCAD with GDL?
Rakela Raul
Participant
does GDL toolbox exist for 11 or 12 ?? I dont think so
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rakela wrote:
does GDL toolbox exist for 11 or 12 ?? I dont think so
If that's the case, then I won't modify the poll, as GS is clearly not supporting GDL Toolbox going forward. Is this reasonable to assume?
Rakela Raul
Participant
"A wonderful treat for AC9 was the free release of GDL Toolbox.

Unfortunately it was never updated to run under AC10.

Now we are at AC11, and still no such capability exists in the basic ArchiCAD product. By that I mean basic visual 3d modelling tools.
Compared with 3D modellers it was very agricultural, but it did really extend what was possible in ArchiCAD.

Couldn't GS pull this under its umbrella - at the least - or introduce something like it?"
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Djordje
Ace
LINZ wrote:
Is there a way that I can modify the poll to include ArchiCAD with GDL?
Yes, but you can't vote again.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
stefan
Expert
GDL toolbox was interesting, but not updating plug-ins effectively kills them...

I use none of these applications, as I'm not into free-form modeling with ArchiCAD. If I do this kind of modeling, it usually does not end up in ArchiCAD anyway...

Cinema4D is nice, but the freeform models do not integrate nicely with the BIM model.

Revit has some advantages here over ArchiCAD 😉
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
So what are these "Other" programs that people are using? It would be worth it to start a new thread with a poll that includes these things.