Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

modeling at rim of floor, edge of roof

cremsberg
Participant
I am requesting ideas on how best to model the rim area of a floor (slab). Which tool? Model vs. 2d in sections/elevations? How to best model exterior finishes at rim and have them merge with wall finishes? How best to show for 3D purposes? I imagine there are 1000 ways to do this. Similar question is how to deal with eaves and rake profiles at the roof.
Claire Remsberg

Remsberg Architecture, P.A.

MacBook Pro, OSX 12.6, ArchiCAD v25 (5010)
4 REPLIES 4
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Specific examples would be helpful. 2D or 3D is depending on the situation. For instance, we don't model studs but insert 2D Objects where needed in the wall sections. Parapet coping, eaves and rakes we model with Complex Profiles. Corrugated metal siding we would not model; unless it was useful to the condition under consideration.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura, how are you handling the corner of a raked end and the flat eave.
We have been using the Eave maker object for some time now. I tried using the complex profiles the other day and couldn't get that corner to join correctly. I did this using the beam tool.
Anonymous
Not applicable
cremsberg, i hijacked your thread and never offered suggestions, sorry!!
I would suggest using the joist beam object under 06 Wood-Plastic. it willl give you the options of a few different section cut displays. You may be limited by pens as far as display goes.
As for modeling the exterior, you could draw a short wall using the same material so it will blend or start your upper wall "below" the current story lheight to match
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Chris wrote:
Laura, how are you handling the corner of a raked end and the flat eave.
Well -- that's sort of hit-or-miss -- and usually results in resorting to SEOs.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5