Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Questions about using archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
ArchiCAD is a useful software for me , but since i have used it only a short period, when i introduce it to my friend, they ask me some question which i can't answer.

1. Is it archicad only for architect? how do it cooperate with surveyor, engineer, etc.......?

2. i know archicad can draw 2d and import details from dwg file, but does it mean the draftman still need AutoCAD for modifying the details? because on my own, i really hope archicad to replace other 2d/3d cad software.

3. ArchiCAD is a BIM software, and will it be the trend of architectural drawings? because in my country, it is still a very new thing that people even don't know what it is.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
any senior could give me your helping hands?
Anonymous
Not applicable
in my city, hong kong, autodesk seems control the market, most people use autocad, revit in construction.

which product ,revit or archicad, win in your country? for what reason that you keep using it?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Angus,

IMO... I think that the differences of productivity between AC and Revit are irrelevant...
Its like having difficult to choose between a jaguar and a porsche...
You can deliver and communicate any project with AC or Revit...
What really matter is to choose one and go deep in it...
Use your inner feeling and choose...
And once you choose it don't look back...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Angus,
I will like to tell you my experience with Archicad:
I have been using Archicad since version 6.5 and in my office all my draftsman used to work on Autocad and I didn't care because I was having a lot of work, but the I realized the tremendous amount of time the draftsman spent on a project (me having worked on Archicad) and more on changes.
I then decided to cut people off and kept only the draftsmans that wanted to learn to use Archicad and they learned through the training courses from Graphisoft in a week!
I am having more work than before and finish complete projects with documents in less than half time I was spending with Autocad.
Autocad is a great software, but is is not for architects.
I hope this answers your doubts,
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
Mario
Anonymous
Not applicable
angus wrote:
ArchiCAD is a useful software for me , but since i have used it only a short period, when i introduce it to my friend, they ask me some question which i can't answer.

1. Is it archicad only for architect? how do it cooperate with surveyor, engineer, etc.......?
It is primarily for Architects but I have known others to use it. Collaboration is quite easy for 2D drawings. 3D collaboration is more difficult whatever software you are using.
2. i know archicad can draw 2d and import details from dwg file, but does it mean the draftman still need AutoCAD for modifying the details? because on my own, i really hope archicad to replace other 2d/3d cad software.
ArchiCAD has excellent 2D drafting capabilities. Better than AutoCAD in some ways. There is no need to use AutoCAD to finish any drawings.
3. ArchiCAD is a BIM software, and will it be the trend of architectural drawings? because in my country, it is still a very new thing that people even don't know what it is.
BIM is the latest buzzword and has more to do with construction coordination, integrated project delivery, etc. than it does with the practice of Architecture. No software is really BIM all by itself but only in so far as it can interoperate with other programs to model and simulate the complete design-construction-maintenance processes. It will become more and more necessary for Architects to plug into this process and use building modeling software. Of course virtual building has big advantages in the design process with or without BIM.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
Hi Angus,

IMO... I think that the differences of productivity between AC and Revit are irrelevant...
Its like having difficult to choose between a jaguar and a porsche...
You can deliver and communicate any project with AC or Revit...
What really matter is to choose one and go deep in it...
Use your inner feeling and choose...
And once you choose it don't look back...
thanks

but does revit export dwg file better?(although i know dwg is a dump)...while i've tried export dwg file in archicad, but in autocad viewer open it, some lines become not match..........

i think my city always concern about autocad........even our housing authority
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks Matthew and Recailo

in my city , so less amount of people using archicad, the majority of people think autocad is much better, easy and fast.

but i think they are afraid to learn new software, i admit that learn archicad need more time than autocad and i think which is reasonable.

they are very fast in using the command in autocad but they are actually slow in documentation.

furthermore
i hope more user here share what they think about archicad to me. for me to convince them. at the same time, revit seems to be our enemy, because autodesk seems have owned the main market here......-.-"
Anonymous
Not applicable
angus wrote:
But does revit export dwg file better?(although i know dwg is a dump)...while i've tried export dwg file in archicad, but in autocad viewer open it, some lines become not match..........
Of course Revit will export dwg better... Its an AutoDesk SW...
But ArchiCAD can fairly export good dwg files...
You just have to sit down for a day or two...
Read the reference manual...
And create a custom dwg export configuration...
angus wrote:
i think my city always concern about autocad........even our housing authority
Fair enought... Just use your dwg exporter or publish a pdf set of your drawings and they will be very happy housing authorities...
TomWaltz
Participant
Braza wrote:
angus wrote:
But does revit export dwg file better?(although i know dwg is a dump)...while i've tried export dwg file in archicad, but in autocad viewer open it, some lines become not match..........
Of course Revit will export dwg better... Its an AutoDesk SW...
By that logic, shouldn't Archicad be able to read Vectorworks?
Tom Waltz