BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Dimensions in custom profile window

R Muller
Enthusiast
I added dimensions to a custom profile in the profile window. They were on the drafting layer.

After I stored the revised profile, the dimensions disappeared. I tried quitting AC and restarting, but they did not come back.

Is this supposed to happen with AC12? Is there some other way to dimension a profile so that the dimensions will change automatically if I modify the profile?
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
4 REPLIES 4
Dwight
Newcomer
I stand to be corrected, but it seems to be an anomaly that you can apply a dimension in the complex profile window, but there is no intent for that to carry through in any way. Let me confirm that, indeed, a dimension can be applied and is not saved as you describe.

Looks like a programming oversight, since i understand this window to be solely to draw profile forms.
Dwight Atkinson
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I reckon GS will say this is 'by design'. I remember during beta of the profile manager suggesting that we are able to construct fully embellished details in the profile manager. Then we could choose whether the information showed up in section or detail again.

I think it went to the dreaded wishlist.

Cheers,
Link.
R Muller
Enthusiast
Can you think of any other good way to dimension the profile of an element? I tried dimensioning a section of the element, but the dimensions did not update automatically when I changed the profile.
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
Barry Kelly
R wrote:
Can you think of any other good way to dimension the profile of an element? I tried dimensioning a section of the element, but the dimensions did not update automatically when I changed the profile.
Not sure if this will work but try adding hotspots in the profile for the bits you want to dimension.
Then dimension in the section to these hotspots.
When you stretch the profile the hotspots will stretch and so should the dimension.
At least this works when scripting GDL objects.
Without the hotspots you are not really linking your dimensions to anything.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!