Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Cannot Install ArchiCAD 12 using SMS or SYSTEM account

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been tasked with deploying ArchiCAD 12 to some of our networks PCs. I have followed the instructions at below URL to create an Installation Package which does install OK when run manually.
www.archicadwiki.com/AC%2012%20Install%20Package%20Creation

We use System Management Server 2003 (SMS) to distribute and install our software on behalf of our end-users who do not have admin rights. SMS delivers the package to the target computer and then runs the installer using a system account with elevated privileges. However, when I try to deploy the ArchiCAD Installation Package through SMS the setup program starts but then immediately exits with a failure code of -1073741819.

I encountered this exact error the last time I tried to deploy ArchiCAD which was with release v10. At that time I was advised that the installer was being changed for future releases. See archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=89486

My best guess is that the installer is attempting to spawn a secondary process as the interactive (end) user rather than the launching (system) user.

Please can you advise what this error indicates? Alternatively, is it possible to turn on some verbose logging so I can better diagnose the problem?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone from Graphisoft help with this? SMS is a widely used application deployment system, so I think that it would be beneficial for you to have an installer which works with the system. ArchiCAD will not get enterprise wide roll out in our institution if we cannot deploy with SMS. In contrast, competing products from Autodesk and Bentley work fine with SMS despite being complex installations.
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK I have narrowed down the problem a little. The ArchiCAD installer will not run when invoked by the SYSTEM account. This can be confirmed by running the command:

AT hh:mm /interactive cmd.exe

This will invoke a command prompt as the SYSTEM account. If you then try to run the Installation Package from this prompt a box briefly pops up with the message:

Checking Installed Java Runtime Environments. Please Wait...

The installer then exits with no error. As SMS uses the SYSTEM account to install software it fails in the same way.

Graphisoft really need to fix this but I cannot get them to respond to me...
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hi Leigh.
Contact your local reseller about this and they should be able to log the issue with Graphisoft.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem is I don't have a reseller, we get ArchiCAD for free direct from Graphisoft because we are a University.
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
OK, then contact the local ArchiCAD Reseller and they should be able to help you regardless of the fact that you didn't actually purchase anything from them.
Or, if you have a contact at Graphisoft, contact them.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, I've given it a shot with a local reseller. Not holding my breath though...

I already tried the UK Graphisoft office but received no response.