Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Steel Frame Object and Cut Plane Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello all ArchiElite's!

I have a problem with a steel frame object.

I have added the "Double Slope 12" object from the standard library. The problem is that I can't see the profile of the frame-leg on the floor plan.

What can I do to resolve this problem?

I have attached a picture of what I experience, to the left, and what I want it to show, to the right. (The picture to the the right has been edited and is not a result from AC)

Thanks for any answers or comments!

frameleg.JPG
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peterjo wrote:
Hello all ArchiElite's!

I have added the "Double Slope 12" object from the standard library. The problem is that I can't see the profile of the frame-leg on the floor plan.

I have attached a picture of what I experience, to the left, and what I want it to show, to the right. (The picture to the the right has been edited and is not a result from AC)

I know a " moderator" that can help

well actually it is not an option for that object , a workaround ( that I haven't tried my self , not sure if practical even ) . to consider 3D documentation for those elements and combine it with the floor plan ( without the steel frame ) in the layouts . ahh ...even saying that seems taking so long !!
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Peterjo:

It looks like this object has not been scripted to show the Floor Plan Cut Plane, so it will not show the leg cut you describe. One work around is under Parameters > 2D Representation > 2D: Detailed to show the beam outlines, then trace this with a fill.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies. I think I have to work around it by manually doing the fills as David guided me to.

I have tried the 3D-document trick but since I'm not really familar with that tool (yet) I failed hard

Have a great day!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thought a complex profile column would do what you want, but got funny results on testing. (AC11)

Left hand column is vertical
Centre column at 80degrees to vertical, projected with overhead, but base elevation is 0 and cut plane is 1100mm, it shows cut at base.
Right hand column at 80 degrees, projected with overhead, base elevation -1000 with cut plane still at 1100mm. This is what I was expecting to see on central column.
Picture 2.png
Djordje
Ace
whatever wrote:
Peterjo wrote:
Hello all ArchiElite's!

I know a " moderator" that can help
Do you? 😉
whatever wrote:
well actually it is not an option for that object , a workaround ( that I haven't tried my self , not sure if practical even ) . to consider 3D documentation for those elements and combine it with the floor plan ( without the steel frame ) in the layouts . ahh ...even saying that seems taking so long !!
Short of building the cutplane sensitivity in the object, which I have been asking for since it has appeared, there is no correct solution.

What I normally do (and ALL of our buildings are steel structure ... many of them logistics, factories etc) is use the columns and the beams separately. That way you can control the display perfectly. Plus, since 11, you can define the cutplanes on the top and the bottom, ends of the beams, even overlap them as needed, quite enough for the architectural part and export to IFC enabled structural analysis software, and the change of heights for the gable walls (more columns than in the interior) happens graphically. Z profiles work for purlins - don't be afraid to use them, they help immensely for correct sections and exact positioning of the openings in the cladding - there you will probably need C channels. Recommended.

The custom profile column approach is good, but when the structure is calculated, more often than not the sizes have to be correct; so it is much easier to Find&Select and go the new profile size than redefine all the profiles. Essentially, display wise, it is the same as using the objects, without the flexibility of changing the size in one go.

I vote for the separate column and beam approach.

Alternatively, create custom profiles for all the BS etc sizes ... do I hear an AAARGH? ... yes, I thought so 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
When you have a frame consisting of 2 or more beams, what do you prefer to do then?

Some beams can therefore have a slope since the cross section of the beam can differ from the start to end of each beam. Can you solve this problem without using objects, eg., a object of a beam that allows to change the cross section fo each end. This will benefit the idea of exporting it to other file formats pain free.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peterjo wrote:
When you have a frame consisting of 2 or more beams, what do you prefer to do then?

Some beams can therefore have a slope since the cross section of the beam can differ from the start to end of each beam. Can you solve this problem without using objects, eg., a object of a beam that allows to change the cross section fo each end. This will benefit the idea of exporting it to other file formats pain free.
Before ArchCAD had a frame object I bought this onehttp://www.objectsonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=1143 from objects online. It takes care of the display problem you are talking about. It also has a corresponding beam object that allows accurate construction of the multi-pieced frames that are typical of pre-engineered metal buildings.

Dave
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Alternatively, create custom profiles for all the BS etc sizes ... do I hear an AAARGH? ... yes, I thought so 😉
I did it for the US sizes. It's not really that hard. We even made libraries with different amounts of fire proofing, and now in 12 we can turn it on and off.