Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Xerox Phaser 6100DN - experience?

Thomas Holm
Booster
I'm considering buying a cheap A4/Letter color laser for our home network (instead of carrying the (cheaper but expensive-to-maintain) inkjet around between 3PCs and 2Macs).
The 6100DN looks fine, has duplex and works with OSX, but it has only non-expandable 64MB memory and no Postscript. It has an OSX CUPS-based driver. It costs SEK3000 (around EUR330 or USD400).
If I pay SEK1000 (around USD120) more, I can get a SamsungCLP-550N which has the same engine, 128MB expandable mamory and Postscript.
But do I really need the Postscript?
How well does MacOSX work without it?
Does anyone have experience with these printers?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
i have an experience with xerox phaser 8400. Its just great.
I think that 6100 uses too solid ink.

The only problem is that you have to keep the printer open all the time.
It goes on power conservation and does not eat much power.

Great piece.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Well, I found the 6100 too expensive, and a Google search on the Samsung revealed a number of not-so-good reviews.

I finally settled for a networked Canon Pixma IP4000R for home use. Small, beautiful (like a black Japanese laquer box), light, portable, and much cheaper than the above, as long as there are no bulk print jobs to do.

And it works nicely with the built-in interface over the Ethernet network, printing from any of one MaxOSX10.3, one Win98, one Win2000Pro and one WinXP Pro box attached. I took a chance, but found that finally Canon has got its MacOSX10.3 print act together. Prints just as fast and good as from the Win machines. Not so good with earlier inkjets. And no Postscript needed.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
always check toner prices and ink consumption.
The more expensive sometimes is cheaper.
Also please take into account future needs.
Perhaps doublesided printing? Speed? NetworkCard?

Printers are hardware not very often changed so spend some time in user forums commending about there printer.
There you should usually find drawbacks of printers that you can only discover AFTER you use the printer, and it will be too late..

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!