Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Complex wall intersects in 2d but not 3d

Anonymous
Not applicable
I built a complex profile wall, and it is intersecting with itself in 2d, but not at all in 3d. The reference lines intersect. They were on one side. I moved them to the center of the wall because I thought that might help, but it didn't.
I've built complex profile walls before without this problem. The major difference is the corrugated siding which uses curves and the cavities formed behind it.
Any ideas how to make this work?
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
and the 2d view:
Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't quite work out what is happening in the 3d view. Can you post a shot preferably showing the top or bottom edges?

I suspect you have another wall with the same layer intersection number hitting that corner either on a hidden layer, or intersecting it above or below.

Also check for any wall reference lines that are offset from their actual geometry that may not be obviously connected.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to make sure I moved the walls 1000' off.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This shows the reference lines centered and intersecting.
Anonymous
Not applicable
the 3d intersections fail when the profile is applied, even though the reference lines are intersecting and the 2d plan view of the wall is as expected.
Anonymous
Not applicable
here's a close up of the top
JaredBanks
Mentor
This looks like an issue with priority levels of the different fills in the custom profile.

1) is enable skin priorities checked in the floor plan and section dialog box of the placed walls?
2) make sure the fills for the corrugated metal have a priority number less than the rest of the wall. The priority numbers will tell ArchiCAD what should/shouldn't merge.

That should solve it. I don't think it matters what is/isn't listed as a core component (though that will be important later for dimensioning).

by the way, nice profile!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks, If only I could get it to work

-enable skin priorities is checked on all three walls
-I set the channels and corrugated metal to 2 and checked finish component, the sheathing to 4, and the stud to 8 and core component. Horizontal stretch is located at the faces of the stud wall, the opening line is located 1/16 out from the corrugation.

Do you know if it could be the corrugation? I was thinking I've never used curves in a complex profile, but I just remembered I used one to make a table edge once.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I remember seeing this in the AC10 beta. I can't remember exactly but I think it had to do with the origin (thus reference line) somehow. If you can't sort it out you can clean up the 3D with SEOs.