Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Auto Arrange interior elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to auto arrange interior elevations in AC12. I find that all my drawing ID's are set to 1 when I use the Auto arrange. This leaves me with the prospect of manually numbering the drawings on the layouts, which is obviously not useful.

I also would prefer to have one title block per set (room). This also requires a lot of manual editing to turn off 3 and stretch one title bar under the other 3. I prefer this arrangement method over the grid, but the grid at least provides some auto numbering of drawings. They unfortunately end up being somewhat random since they depend on which cell in the grid they fall into.

Am I out of luck or missing something?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
MORE PROBLEMS,

I am having problems getting my auto placed drawings to fit the frames to the boundary of the interior elevations. They get placed as empty dashed boxes with the actual elevation somewhere out of view and they have the FIT FRAME TO DRAWING box unchecked even though I set the drawing tool to ENABLE fit to drawing before dragging the interior group onto the layout in the organizer. This worked in a blank test .pln, but not in my project. It requires me to manually place all my drawings since fitting to frame pop the drawings randomly about the layout.

No matter what I do, I can't get the default settings to place the drawings with the frames tightly around my elevations.

Please advise!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone out there???
Eduardo Rolon
Just to try reply since your question requires a very long answer because it is about workflow,

As to the first question IMO you might be fighting the program but one way to do it. The way I organize my ID's for Int Elevs is using the following notation

InEl-Room Number-letter A, B, C and D

For 3 elevations in room 251 the name would be;
InEl-251a
InEl-251b
InEl-251c

though in your case I would put the letter first sine then I can use the drawing manager to select all the InEl that have the letter A

InEl-A-251
InEl-B-251
______
To have only one name I would set the Master Layouts to Grids that are only horizontal, with the titles set to the width of the Cell and numbers vertically. Only InEl that end with the letter A will have titles, all others will have their title off or simplified. InEls B, C and D will be placed in the same Cell as A. You can add Hotspots in the Master to help with the placement.
I don't know if Auto Arrange will work correctly with this workflow
____

The view placement problem might be related to how the Views were defined since Zoom is part of the settings that get saved. I would verify that either all the views have the correct zoom or you could edit the saved views so that they ignore it.

HTH
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Erika Epstein
Booster
Views: Yes, you do have to check each views setting's. do a fit in window or size appropriately and then redefine the Zoom to 'Current Zoom'.

Place all the IE on a non-cell defined master so you can use the auto arrange feature. After this is done, switch to the horizontal cell defined master. The auto arranged Interior Elevations will stay in place.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you both!

In the end, i spent the day placing each room one a a time and manually shifted around the drawings after selecting the fit frame option. There was no apparent way to get them to appear correctly fit to frame by dragging and dropping the group onto the layout. Although it works in a new file using test elevations. Go figure. Perhaps the zoom was off, as you suggest.

I wanted to add the N,E,S,W after each room name, but that throws off the alphabetical organization. The only solution is to add the Elevation ID somewhere in the name before the Orientation code. I ended up ditching the orientation in favor of a proper flow of elevations. I did at the room number before the name for reference.

Seems like there are many options for laying out IE's. Just none that work in a straight forward way and still fall short of being just what I hoped for.

Thanks again.
Eduardo Rolon
suggestion,

InEl-251.a - North Elevation
InEl-251.b - West Elevation
InEl-251.c - South Elevation
InEl-251.d - East Elevation

might have worked
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Erika Epstein
Booster
Daniel wrote:
There was no apparent way to get them to appear correctly

Seems like there are many options for laying out IE's. Just none that work in a straight forward way and still fall short of being just what I hoped for.
Daniel, What you discribed is what many of us would like. We should be able to have a choice of separately Room Name and the individual View names.

Standard graphisoft titles should have the option to show/No show the title and in a separate field individual elevation name.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Stress Co_
Advisor
Here's my manual solution (using NCS Drawing Title 12).
Under "Additional Data" is "Drawing Description".
Have to manually input the IE's orientation from the Project map.
Be nice if it were automated.
Picture 37.png
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)