Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Barrel Vault SEO-no go

Tom Krowka
Booster
Have two barrel vaults intersecting. They are made from beam profiles, which is quick and easy. However, can't seem to get the SEO intersection quite right. Have attached a snapshot of the closest I can come; done with a substraction with downwards extrusion. Have tried every other operation, nothing seems to mitre the common angles as one would expect. The vaults are four inches thick, they have trim attached at the bottom as part of the profile.
Any comments?

WKA barrel vault no go seo.jpg
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
23 REPLIES 23
Erika Epstein
Booster
There must be a simpler way, but this gives you what you want. (I think).
What you are missing is the intersection of the two barrel vaults. I made two sets of intersecting barrel vaults. The first pair I SEOd as you did. The second pair I SEOd but used the Intersect operation type. The latter fits in the first pair.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I am not sure why you're SEO'ing at all? If you make them WALLS with the complex profile and set the "origin" at the center of the vault, wouldn't they clean up naturally?
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Well I'll be... it doesn't work either... so here's what I did.

Two intersecting walls of barrel shape.. Create a second barrel profile that is the NEGATIVE space of the original barrel. Then use BARREL2 to cut out both the barrel 1's...

Be sure to homogenize materials..
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
vfrontiers wrote:
I am not sure why you're SEO'ing at all? If you make them WALLS with the complex profile and set the "origin" at the center of the vault, wouldn't they clean up naturally?
If I remember well , I was able to do that but the profile was half vault not full , so its like 4 walls . not next to AC to check .
Barry Kelly
Or just use the Cross Vaults object from the Primitve Shapes section of the library?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erika Epstein
Booster
Cross Vaults object? AFter all our fun coming up with obscure methods...I cracked up reading that.
It reminded me of the original Indiana Jones. The scene in the Cairo Markets where all kinds of weapons e.g. knives,swords, ropes are being used and finally Indiana just draws his gun and shoots the guy.

But, looking through the US library, I don't see a cross vault by any name. Is it indigenous to Western Australia?
Thanks
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Barry Kelly
Erika wrote:
But, looking through the US library, I don't see a cross vault by any name. Is it indigenous to Western Australia?
Thanks
I thought it came with the standard library (which may be a bit different to other country releases).
But I couldn't find it there.
It doesn't even seem to be in our Australian Essential library which was specifically put together for Aussie users.

It is actually called "Cross Vaults 12" and is very similar to the other Basic Shapes (or primitive shapes) in the library (cones, tubes, etc).

I did find something in the ACE library which was an amalgamation of all the various international libraries.
But that was only version 11 and it was in an LCF file that can't be extracted.
So it must be from an Archicad library somewhere.

The object I have is definitely version 12 and is not in a container file so it wasn't the ACE library.
I'll keep trying to track down where it came from and will post back.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
It is in the standard library that came with the Australian flavour.
There is a section in the library called "Vaults 12".

I'm not sure if this is in the other national libraries.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Tom Krowka
Booster
Had no idea this would get so complicated. At least the best minds in the business are working on the problem, right? Seems like it should clean up automatically, whether it's a beam or a wall complex profile.......

Sure would like to find the cross vault object. I wonder if it would work with two barrel vaults of different diameter, which is what I have.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com