Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD version 12 freezing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our office upgraded from version 11 to version 12 2 weeks ago. I was fine working on it until last Friday. The program froze 6 times. There was nothing specific I was doing. 2 of the times I was hitting the save button. 2 of the times I was moving and object. Today I opened the same file and worked on it for 5 hours and then it froze again. I ended the program, opened it and not even 3 steps in, it froze again and then again.

I have renamed the file, saved it as something else, scanned the file, scanned the ArchiCAD program file and nothing comes up.

I am running Windows XP service Pack 2, have 3GB of RAM and 34 GB of empty harddrive space. I have Java 6 update 7 and Quicktime 7. The computer is a Pentium D. Everything else is compatable.

Any ideas? Help? Anyone else experiencing this?
20 REPLIES 20
Rick Thompson
Expert
Are you using the standard AC12 library? If not, you might try having only that loaded and test. You might have a bad library part, but ???
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Problem is this file was started in 9, then upgraded to 11 and then to 12 so I have all 3 libraries loaded and the 11 migration library.

I have since done a registry scan, fixed the errors, scandisk'ed the harddrive, defrag'ed the computer and unistalled and reinstalled ArchitCAD 12 and saved the file under another name and it is still freezing on me.

Any suggestions?
Rick Thompson
Expert
I would contact you dealer. You might be able to send the pln in and have it checked. I would guess it is an object issue though. All my files are old plns that have migrated fine. I only have one custom library loaded though, but it has parts from several versions all the way back to AC 6.5. You probably have some conflict going on to crash that much.

Do you get any warnings about duplicate parts loading?
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's the thing... I get no warnings at all when opening the file. It's weird because I used to get messages that my skylights needed to be fixed or the fireplace was wrong but that was in version 9.

I just spoke to our dealer and he is going to speak to ArchiCAD to move our case up since we have a subscription to ArchiPlus... I guess that makes us a higher priority.

He also told me to open the old file and open a new file and copy and paste things to see if it causes it to freeze to try to isolate the issue.

Also... did ArchiCAD do away with the Debugger system... when it would crash in earlier versions a small window showing the debugger popped up. I haven't gotten it in 12 once.
Rick Thompson
Expert
I don't know that the Mac ever had that debugger window, so can't reply on that?

Good luck.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Chazz
Enthusiast
My impression after using AC 12 non-stop for the last few weeks is that it is a good deal less stable than the current build of AC 11. Lots of crashes, hanging on opening, dying while updating layout looks, etc. Legacy library parts could be a factor in this but then GS has never given us a way to update or even test our stable of parts, most of which have been developed over the course of decades, not months. I eagerly await the next hotpatch.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Eduardo Rolon
One trick I have used is to open the old AC11 file and save it as a pla (archive), then open the archive and select "extract object library to folder" or however it is named. Then you can open the current AC12 file and only load the AC12 library and this custom library. I did this for a project that started in AC09 then 10, 11 and now 12, and it fixed a couple of errors.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Chazz
Enthusiast
Rick wrote:
I don't know that the Mac ever had that debugger window, so can't reply on that?
I think he means the bug reporter application (GSReport.app on the Mac). I always delete the app to save time but I have not done so with AC 12 and notice that it does not come up very often (out of many many crashes, I have only seen it a few times).
Chazz
Enthusiast
ejrolon wrote:
One trick I have used is to open the old AC11 file and save it as a pla....
True that