BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Looking for file recovery wisdom

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have attempted to open a file that I was working on a few months ago.
The file starts to open, not really enough time to read any thing on the screen, and then I get kicked out of the program and the bug reporter appears. Same thing happens with the back up plan. I tried starting a new file, deleting out all layers and other attributes, and importing the bad file, as soon as the import starts, I get kicked out of archicad. This file had some pretty large site meshes, I think I made them with architerra. Can anyone suggest anything? I sent the file to my vendor, no luck. I just sent the file to tech support, they will be looking at it today.
I also tried opening it up on my dell Precision 6300 laptop, same problem.
Thanks for any wisdom,
I am usually careful about backing up my files, but in this case the backup was about two days of work old.
I am wondering if there is a program I can buy that could scan/audit the file for problems.

Jack K Rogers AIA

archicad 11 1114 USA full
Windows XP pro
Dual opteron 270's
4 meg ram
nvidia Quadro FX 3400/4400
7 REPLIES 7
Thomas Holm
Booster
Do a search in this forum for "forward merge"
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Thomas wrote:
Do a search in this forum for "forward merge"
I'm surprised you didn't respond with 'Artlantis'!

Anyway, he can hardly do a forward merge if he can't open the project. File sounds corrupt to me and IME only GSHQ can determine what's wrong with it.

A telling sign may be how big the file is, but I suspect that GSHQ will reply with an answer soon enough. In the meantime you may want to think take another look at that backup...

Cheers,
Link.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Link wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't respond with 'Artlantis'!
You're biting my heels all the time, Link! But I guess that's intended to keep me on my toes.

Of course you're right. I'm tired. But maybe he could open a new file and then try to merge the faulty one into that?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Thomas wrote:
But maybe he could open a new file and then try to merge the faulty one into that?
He has already! You must be tired.

I just like to see accurate advice given - especially coming from someone in the top ten list.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I certainly do appreciate the help of you people in the archicad community. Geographically I'm out in the sticks with no one to turn to around here, but I guess that's true of most archicad users. But with this forum I fell like I have the worl wide community of archicad users right next door. I just tried another archicad user's suggestion of removing all add ons, I tried both opening the file and the forward merge, no luck.

My thanks again to the archicad community of the world.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Now if I could just learn how to type
Rod Jurich
Contributor
jackrog1 wrote:
Now if I could just learn how to type
You can always edit your own post
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Learn and get certified!