Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

How to transfer materials properties to another project?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've tweaked materials in one solo project, and now I've got them looking right, I want to transfer them to another. Now if it was an object, I would just cut and paste it. How do I go about updating my other projects with the material settings from the "tweaked" one?

5 REPLIES 5
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Peter:

You can use the Attribute Manager to transfer and/or overwrite materials (as well as other attributes) between files. You should also create a template file that you update as you tweak these attributes, so they are available when you start your next project.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Rick Thompson
Expert
A quick way it to apply the new materials to a fill, and cut/paste onto the new file. However, as David said, with a good template pln you can open it up via Attribute Manager to transfer everything, and is the best practice in the long run. I tend to reuse the same plns over and over (stock plans). I keep a #2 AC running all the time to copy/paste from. Anything new I come up with I add to the template file, and every time I open a older pln, I open Attribute Manager and update the older file.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Brett Brown
Advocate
When adding to my template I have been saving it as a tpl. Any advantage in doing this, or save as a pln as Rick says?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
Dwight
Newcomer
The saving method of a project is irrelevant.

Every file has an accessible .aat [attribute] file in which to spelunk and either add to or overwrite attributes of your current open file.

It is another matter how you might reliably build up a comprehensive template that accumulates all of the special things you make as you grow with Archicad. Rick is a master of this since he needs few [one?] templates, unlike me who works in unique ways and makes up oneofakinds.
Dwight Atkinson
Rick Thompson
Expert
Brett wrote:
When adding to my template I have been saving it as a tpl. Any advantage in doing this, or save as a pln as Rick says?
Really depends on how you want to use it. A template file is a "read only" so you open a new file and base it on a template then you are opening a copy to start a new project on. I tend to use "my template" file as a resting place for commonly used "pieces" (like a deck, or chimney), to copy/paste onto something I am working on. It is an aid to standardize my stock plns. At this point with AC I use Favorites extensively instead of a template file. Again, with something like a new fill, I would copy that onto "my template" pln, so it would be there to add via Attribute Manager to another project.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display