Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

What line type do you use for overhead "stuff"?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm wondering what the proper line type is for showing overhead things, like the upper cabinets in a kitchen. Do you use the dot & dash or the double dash? I personally use the double dash, but my office differs on the subject. Not exactly ArchiCAD related but...
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Personally I see Double Dashed as more of a centreline ( ____ _ ____ _ ____ ), and use Triple Dashed ( _____ _ _ _____ _ _ _____ ) for overhead lines, particularly roof overhangs and the like. Something like joinery might require a smaller dash though.
David Shorter
Advisor
Hi Steven
My first checkpoint would be the local drafting standards as these usually have recommendations for stuff above and below and how to represent it. I think the Australian standards say long dash for overhead short dash for things below but hidden. I'm sure someone will correct me if this is not right.
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable
Double dashed lines for everything above. Two diferent double dashed lines - large for structural elements and smaller for furniture.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
David wrote:
I think the Australian standards say long dash for overhead short dash for things below but hidden.
This is also the [American] National CAD Standard, and what we've adopted for our office.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here the below hidden lines are dotted.
Jere
Expert
Laura wrote:
This is also the [American] National CAD Standard, and what we've adopted for our office.
That's the standard here in Canada too. Lots of firms here are adopting the AIA National CAD standards.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
Laura wrote:
David wrote:
I think the Australian standards say long dash for overhead short dash for things below but hidden.
Same convention I've used for years (decades really).

However, under Preferences>Construction Elements; GS has the 'Above Home Story' & 'Below Home Story' lines reversed from what actually shows on the plan (I have a plan out right now and just tested it again in 12). To be helpful, be careful when setting project preferences.

I've seen this Line/language reversal in every version since v5.

Mark

ArchiCAD 12 2523 USA Full + 11, 10, 9 & 7, Mac G5 Dual 2.3 Ghz, 1.5 Gb, OSX.4.11, HP T1100, Epson R1800

Mark R. Wallace AIA
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
Mark wrote:
GS has the 'Above Home Story' & 'Below Home Story' lines reversed
[It is not reversed in the reversed Graphisoft thinking kind of way.]

'Above Home Story' means the object-centric
the lines that elements will show on floor plans above the element's home story (the element placement story, that sort of is)

and not the viewpoint-centric and therefore more intuitive —at least for people, maybe not for construction elements—, especially when you are dealing with project preferences and not object settings
the lines that elements will show when placed on and projecting from stories above the current story (the floor plan you are looking at)